Dogs on Strings

Tall lime trees line the lane in front of the house.  Mr B built some bird boxes and put one in our lime tree.  I can watch it from the upstairs bedroom windowsill.  In fact I can watch lots of things from up there.  Squirrels shout abuse from the branches of that lime tree.  They have stripped lots of bark off branches to build their nest.  Every night I watch a local fox meander up the lane.

However, the most regular foot traffic in my lane are humans and dogs.  Humans are sometimes alone, sometimes in groups, some big and some small, and sometimes pushing things with wheels that seem to have very small humans inside.

Dogs are seldom ever alone.  Most of them pass by towing a human on the end of a string of some sort.  I have stared very hard at these towing dogs.   I watch them till they disappear onto the Common, but I can’t quite work out why they do it.

Why do some humans need to be towed?

Comments