Bee Swarm 4

This just gets better and better.  After the bee swarm from next door had been put in the box and transferred into the new hive, Mr B had a quick look at the original colony in our back yard…… and it turns out that the swarm didn’t come from there! 

THEY’RE SOMEONE ELSE’S BEES!

Now he is stressed-out big time because a nasty bee disease called European Foul Brood has been discovered in a hive belonging to his beekeepers association (quite a few miles away, mind), and it was a colony that they had collected as a swarm.

So we have to keep a close eye on these bees to make sure they haven’t got any nasty diseases.

He was away sailing all weekend (he took two big bags so I assume F went sailing too), and I had to watch the bees on my own.  My ‘catsitter’ doesn’t do bees.

This isn’t the final line on bee swarms.  Mr B is still hammering away making another hive to do an ‘artificial swarm’ on my original bees.

I need a bigger back yard.  A farm might be good…… 

Comments