Unguided Missiles and Stray Arrows

Humans fall into two groups: my humans, and other humans.  All humans come in a range of sizes, from helpless ones about the same size as me, through dangerous ones that appear to be about half-size for humans, all the way up to fairly innocuous but self-propelling full sized ones (which can be even bigger than my humans!)

Self-propelling and full sized other humans usually either (a) totally ignore cats, or (b) try to entice them.  I tend to avoid them all, or treat them with disdain.  A few big humans throw things or yell and run at cats, but full sized humans (especially yelling ones) generally can’t throw straight, and are always slower than cats.  So I dig in their gardens anyway. 

No small humans live at my house but they visit from time to time.  On the whole I don’t mind small humans on their own, but in pairs or larger groups they’re dangerous and have a tendency to behave like missiles without a guidance system (or with a faulty guidance system, whose programme gets locked onto: ‘the CAT’.)

Very small humans can barely walk, they certainly can’t open the garage door, and mostly can’t even fits their heads through the cat-door. So I can retreat to the garage if their attention gets too fixated on the ‘CAT’.  It’s quite interesting to observe, from just inside my cat-door, their round furless faces nudging at the Perspex.  However with a slightly bigger human in tow (one of the dangerous half-sized ones), they can overwhelm the bastions, and then only the garage roof remains as a safe retreat for a self-respecting cat.

The last, large, human gathering (they called it a party, but it was no party for me) in my house was an event of much rain, torrential rain in fact.  My house was invaded, my garage was invaded, bored small humans were doing their destructive best (CAT would have been an obvious target), nowhere accessible to humans was safe, and I WASN’T going to sit in the garage roof in that weather.  That’s when I discovered that there are rare other humans who fall into a category (c) ….gentle, smell like a garden, understand cats – and become a refuge from rain and small humans. 

She’s beautiful …I think I’m in love.

Comments