Loft Cupboards

Upstairs in my house there are cupboards.  Loads of them.  There are three at the top of the stairs; one has a small heater in it.  Lots of blankets and quilts live in that cupboard.

One cupboard has motorbike and sailing clothes.  That one is just a jumble of boots from my point of view.  The 3rd one has a wicker basket.  It’s tempting, but I’ve been told that it is more than my life is worth to test it out with my claws.  F says her grandma got it for a wedding present in 1920.  So it’s really old but they still use it. 

Anyway I prefer cardboard.

Better than the cupboards on the landing are the low cupboards along either side of the bedrooms.  They’ve got sliding doors so I have to ask to be let into those cupboards.  I can’t hook them open like the others.  They’ve got boxes and camping gear and Christmas decorations and model boats & aeroplanes.  The boxes would be more interesting if I could get inside them, but I can squeeze through a small gap and get under their bath.  I check the cupboards for mice.  They don’t realize how fortunate they are for my diligence in this respect.

F was getting empty jars out of her side cupboard one day so I took the opportunity to check while she had it open.  She came back for a second load and shut the door with me inside.  It’s dark in there but if I climb over the skis, I can snuggle up and sleep in the plastic fibre insulation fluff where the cupboard floor ends.  She got a real surprise when she opened the door that night and I stepped out!

When we first moved into the house a squirrel used to live in that cupboard!  They’re noisy little blighters and he could run up the sloping narrow gap between the roof and the ceiling.

Mr B expected me to either catch it or chase it out.  I like investigating the smell but I wasn’t at all keen on encountering the invader in a tight space.  Mr B eventually found the hole where it was getting in, blocked it up and we’ve had no indoor squirrels since then.  It’s a good thing he stopped it coming in; it was taking away all the new insulation and using it for a nest.  And it was chewing everything wooden.  Not only are they noisy, thieving little blighters with leaden boots and cheek for England, they are also extremely destructive.

Squirrels – gggrrrrrrrrrrrr……………….


Comments