Rubbish on the Beach

We went to the beach on front of the apartment on the second last day that permits were required to go out.  F did it on her exercise permit and took a rubbish  bag.  She always takes a rubbish bag.

Just as well we had a really big rubbish bag this time.  Somebody (or somebodies) had brought a party to the beach in two big plastic bags - big plastic wine bottles, dozens of plastic cups (some still packed in their original plastic tube), plastic food wrappers and various plastic bottles and packages - and they left it all behind, strewn on the rocks along with 100's of cigarette butts and loads of plastic waste associated with tobacco and rolling cigarettes.

F was pretty cross.  I hid in a small cave where she couldn't reach me.  That did nothing to improve her mood.  She used her toes to extract all the plastic bottles from my little crevice, but she had to sit and contemplate the cleaned beach and calm down a bit before I came out again.

I was making the most of my time out too.

F wants to know why people who come here because they enjoy it as a nice place, have so little regard for the place and other people's right to enjoy it too.  Why do they choose to destroy that which attracts them?  It is a choice to leave your waste behind, not lack of choice or accident.  The option to carry it all away again is as available to them as the opportunity to bring it all in here in the first place.

Rant over.  Can you tell I was getting my ear bent at the time?

No wonder I refused to come out.

Comments