Visited the Beach: my lesson on air pressure and tides

 Prison release....

I quite like the beach as long as I don't have to look at the water.

F commented that we must be having high pressure (air) as it has pressed the water down and exposed about 10-12inches (25-30 cm) of rocks and weed that are normally submerged.  She explained to me that you don't notice air pressure effect much in UK where tides are pretty big, but here (and apparently in the Baltic too) deciding whether your sail boat is going to make it into certain anchorages and bays is with enough water to stay afloat is a calculation that has to take barometric pressure into account.

That was my lesson for today.  She's taking this 'home-schooling' lark a bit too seriously.

Now the homework is - explain (in words a cat can understand) the difference between submersed and submerged - as it applies to rocks and seaweed.  

(This cat never studied grammar, and the book F is currently reading to me suggests that English grammar rules are a load of old cobblers anyway, having been made up by scholars of Latin based on rules for Latin grammar.  That sounds like trying to make a human baby jacket fit a cat to me.)  


Comments

  1. Hari OM
    Oh good question, Mr T... in general use, both mersed and merged are the same thing. I do know, though, that some of my botanical mates tended to use submersed for being completely underwater for aquatic plants - and divers for that matter... That was an interesting tidbit about accounting for barometrics as well as tides when harbouring. Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We guess somewhere in faded history it might have been different spellings of same concept. Mr Bryson's book "Mother Tongue" is amusing and instructive on such things - if somewhat out of date by being over 30 years old.... Furringss & Purrings Mr T

      Delete
  2. You look quite regal Tigger, sitting in your Travel Bag. My First Mum (M's granddaughter) tells me all about the movies she is watching and how much she adores this or that boy - I try to look interested and purr at the right times but it gets tricky sometimes (I have to look at her face to see what mood she is in). These humans can be such a trial sometimes!
    May your whiskers always be long and pretty, Mittens 😻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I so get you Mittens. They cry at movies and laugh at my 'funny five minutes', and get annoyed when I cuddle them in bed. Humans aye? Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. I tell that to my feral cousins out the back and they simply don't get it. Enjoy your 'me time' in your nest in the long grass xxx Mr T

      Delete
  3. I wonder if Tigger likes to paddle in the water and catch fish? She looks a bit dubious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very dubious, but its what one has to endure around my humans.

      Delete

Post a Comment