Lunch on the Beach

 I had fresh salad for lunch.

We started off here and I sat quietly for as long as it took F to get her knitting out and disentangle it.  Then I set of for an explore.  That resulted in the knitting being hastily stuffed back in the bag, and F stumbling off after me.  She hates it when I shimmy into small caves.

We came to an arrangement, I would let her dawdle about and photograph flowers, provided I could nibble grass and sniff out the tales left by my feline cousins as they explore this landscape looking for small vermin.  Ideally I would be looking for small vermin, but with a clumsy human standing over you the options are limited.

The yellow flowers are a bit past their best, small purple ones are beginning to appear, some orange ones too, and these strange little creations.  Their flowers might honestly be described as inconspicuous, but I made F notice them because she had to get close to the ground at that point to direct me away from targeting a den in the thorny acacia. Does anyone know what they are?  They look as though they might be a trap for small insects???












Eyes green like the grass....


Comments

  1. Tigger you are a very fine looking ‘man cat’ - with the most outstanding markings and a necklace to die for.
    Now that crop of soft green leaves with yellowy trumpet shaped flowers on long stems looks like a version of oxalis. The bane of my and many other gardeners life. Horrible invasive stuff! Funnily the beloved Shamrock comes from that family as well and nobody seems to grizzle about it. Yes I know- ‘a weed is but an unloved flower’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is oxalis and indeed F dislikes it in the garden here as much as she picked on the pink flowers one in our garden in UK. There is, however, essentially nothing wrong with it other than its ability to be everywhere. It flowers early and has disappeared entirely by the time the favoured varieties are ready to put on a display, so she shouldn't be so hard on it.

      Delete
  2. Hari om
    Looks like cobra plant (arisarum vulgares) to me... but what a lovely coastal garden you have to explore Mr T!!! Hugs and wags YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a big tongue hasn't it? Furrings and purrings Mr T

      Delete
  3. the flower looks like a jack in the pulpit, but not 100 percent sure. the photos of you in the grass and rocks are gorgeous! what a wonderful thing you get to go and wander around sniffing flowers and grass and rocks.. I am laughing because 3 of us have said it looks like 3 different plants. hope someone gets the real answer for you. beautiful photos today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. F has done homework. Based on suggestions and comparing leaves we think it is Friar's Cowl (arisarum vulgare - thank you YAM-aunty). Interestingly, the Jack in the Pulpit is Ariseama. Clearly two genus close together on the plant family 'tree'. The leaves decided it. Cool common names though don't you think? What would you have called it in today's language?

      Delete
  4. Humans are so clumsy when it comes to stalking small vermin!
    Happy whiskers, Mittens 😻

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have no idea what that flower is. I must keep a look out for it. I love the greenery of the clover/oxalis/sorrel. It covers everything now and with those yellow flowers gives me much enjoyment. So different from brown. The only thing I dont like is when it tries to choke my lettuces but comes out very easily.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment