Inspirations


Every day F writes in a book - by hand the old-fashioned way with joined up writing.  I think it's code.  Real writing is done on a keyboard - right?  She calls it a diary and judging by the heavy box in the bottom of the wardrobe she's been writing these diaries for years.

It wasn't until she started working from home that I actually saw her doing it every day and paid attention.  She says it isn't deep - just a record of things seen, places been, ideas to blog.  Hang on a minute.  I have the ideas to blog; IT'S MY BLOG (It's in the name: Tigger's Wee Blog.)

She stopped buying books set out with dated pages about 18 years ago and now simply writes in any old blank book and there is a mad and motley collection of them in that cardboard box.  (I've pulled it open to look inside.)

There is not much by way of illustration - a few theatre tickets, the occasional postcard, a special train ticket, stuff like that.  She says she writes because apart from being exercise for the brain and fine motor skills, she finds it calming and meditational, and sometimes finds herself reaching for the book when she in fact has nothing particular to write about.

A couple of years ago, in her search for the next book to write in she found this and decided it was time to add other experiments to her books - so the next one got all its pages stained with food stuffs (pomegranate juice was a good one).  When she ran out of food ideas she just painted pictures with water colours and then wrote over them.  (It seems that food doesn't stain diaries as effectively as it stains human clothes.)

Last year (and this is where my story for today starts) F wanted some inspiration - real inspiration, ideas for making life changes, and she started sticking anything she found inspirational into the pages of her journal.  The idea was (and still is) that in a year or so she would review all these inspirations with the benefit of a little distance and see whether they distill into a plan for life after Greece, whether they point to a passion to pursue, or a place to be, or people to join in a common goal.  It's meant to take impulsiveness out of a really big life decision.  Everything else in life has been done on impulse and maybe it's time to make a plan???

Speaking as a cat I find that letting life come to you has worked for me (well apart from the 'this is your life' decision I made when I adopted Mr B).

We were looking at that diary the other day and I suggested to her that we could occasionally add one of its 'inspirations' to my blog - I'd let her do that.  It might help us to imagine our way out of this lockdown and have more distant horizons (yes even more distant than the one we view daily) to lift our minds to and contemplate.

Hope is a powerful thing.

Comments

  1. I know cats have great memories so they don't need to write anything down, but I like to record what happens every day in my journal. It stops the days being all alike and can make fun-time reading a year or so down the track :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. F thinks like you do - and she has spent big chunks of her life sailing about and riding motorbikes in foreign places, so she has kept all that travel stuff in there.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    I read this with much interest, Tigger... (really, your adoption of Mr B didn't work for you??? Or did you just mean that wasn't as spontaneous as other changes?)

    Firstly, I used always to keep a written journal - and then destroy them after five years, having reveiwed them. Anything that was important or truly inspirational got torn out and appended to the current journal - c/f, as it were. They were not kept for the very reason I did not wish cluttered shelves (or wardrobes full of boxes). My mother, on the other paw, kept all her journals and I think my sister Mac1 has said she want to keep them all. She loves clutter. Anyway, I no longer handwrite journals because I discovered online journaling...

    Secondly, I am someone who does tend to take life as it comes at me and many of the change decisions have been driven by circumstances. One or two required a little bit of planning, but only in the execution of them, not so much 'aforethought'. That said, the big ones all had clear paths kinda laid out within the transitions.

    Thirdly, I have a sense that I am approaching a point in life where another sorting of priorities will be required of me and there is a bit of me wanting to hide from it all. As F and I are not too disimilar in age I am thinking 'after Greece' may mean retirement? What I do know is that having a 'third party' helps with the thinking. Thinking out loud is even better - and I count online journaling as thinking out loud! Hanging stuff out for others to see helps to put things in perspective, hearing their responses to our thoughts helps tidy and categorise those thoughts - and sharing anyway lightens the burden we sometimes invest in those thoughts.

    ... you can tell how much I liked this post, can't you?!! I think your offer of F-space is generous and thoughtful, Mr T, and very supportive of you. Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I meant about adopting Mr B was that I made a plan, was proactive, made it happen. I could have chosen a neighbour who regularly fed stray cats and had already given me a name, but I chose Mr B. And look where that has got me - I would have been spoiled rotten by Margaret and never had to leave my own backyard. Instead I moved to Havant, learned to drive wheelbarrows and donkeys, supervised everyone at the allotment, travelled about in the van with Mr B, and eventually ended up here in Greece (and this isn't the end either). It will be alright in the end. If it isn't alright, it isn't the end. (Who said that?) xxx Mr T

      Delete
    2. Hari Om
      I think it is one of those 'urbanisms' that gets attributed when some celebrity quotes it; mainly this one gets attributed to John Lennon, but I think it was around before him... it encapsulates life though, eh?! Yxx

      Delete
  3. I consider my blog MadSnapper my life journal. if it happens I post it, that is why it is so well MAD! never know what will be there, just like your journal. I live my life like you Tigger, let it come and let it go and wait to see what happens... i jot notes all over the house with IDEAS for blogs and then can't read them. my writing is not like F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This blog is MY journal - it is meant to record MY contribution to human training and development. F is only permitted to make the occasional wry observation in it. xxx Mr T

      Delete
  4. It's good to look back sometimes and see where we were or what we were thinking, although it's Tigger's blog I'm sure humans are allowed the odd thoughtful post too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment