It's All About the Dogs...

... isn't it?

On my birthday we made a special trip to the butchers shop for some chicken, and then onto the regular petfood shop where my biggest fans hang out (the call me 'The King'; I thought that was Elvis, but I'm happy to be treated as royalty).

On the way back, we saw this sign outside a phone shop. It says "I wait here". It looks to me like a dog, but I wasn't aware that dogs could read, nor was I aware that dogs queued for smart phones.

It isn't the first example of it's kind we have seen. Some have water bowls built in. The customer services extended to dogs got me thinking. Why dogs? Humans have been queuing outside phone shops (I know because I queued with F when she paid the internet bill). No one puts out bowls of water for the humans.

Retail businesses are suffering for having been closed for months. Maybe they think offering special customer services to dogs will boost trade.  Naturally I would have thought that cats would make cleaner, better behaved, and generally more sophisticated customers than dogs.

I mean, dogs don't even clean up after themselves (at least we bury it). These boxes have appeared on our street recently.

They have cardboard poop-scoops in them for humans to use the clean up after their pooches. I might regard my humans as household servants but I don't poop on the street and expect them to clear it up with a cardboard shovel. 

I don't poop on the street - full stop.

Comments

  1. this is really interesting, I mean the part about cardboard pooper scoopers. have not seen those but have thought about how much plastic we are using when we put our hand in a baggie and scoop and tie and throw in trash can... will do some research... at home we have to pick up the camel sized poops of The Dog That Rules Us drops. we use only one bag a week at home which helps some. now for the really intersting thing is I am imagining what would happen if suddenly cats were out and about and waiting outside doors with dogs.. see what I'm saying? you know the old fights like cats and dogs saying? hummmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. F says it takes a lot of energy to make cardboard. Your plastc baggie might actually be a better option when EVERYTHING is taken into account.

      Delete
  2. Hari Om
    Oh yes, Tigger, I see that you mentioned to Sandra what was going through my mind! It is tempting to think that cardboard is the better option (and in terms of the end product, perhaps so), but as you say, producing that product has tradeoffs on carbon output...that said, I am impressed that the effort is made to encourage the cleanup. In OZ, the same is true and in some places here in the Bonny Land, one can find offerings of bags by councils - but not many... I was shocked at the state of the pavements around the Hutch when I first got here. The council did put up warning signs of fines... but who polices those??? Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We call 'em landmines. Piraeus has advanced leaps and bounds in landmine clearance in the last couple of years.

      Delete
  3. Most poop bags are now bio degradable. My pet hate (there's a pun there I'm sure) is people who bag their dog 's poo but then leave it hanging on a tree branch or by the side of the track - I guess they intend to pick it up on their way back but so many forget - just take it to a bin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah - or just lob it into the undergrowth in overgrown front yards like the one next to us when we lived in UK. I used to clear his roadside bit for the old boy who lived next door and it was just horrible. I guess it's no fun carrying dog poo around but then it ain't fun finding it hanging in trees either.

      Delete
  4. We buy dog waste bags that are biodegradable, and the parks carry them too. The most important part is picking up after your dog so that every one can enjoy being outdoors without the stench :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Us cats are far far more civilized than any dog - well, I think so anyway! I wouldn't dream of pooping anywhere in a public place, and I'm always careful to bury it afterwards.
    Mittens 🐈

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do we know how cities and towns managed horse manure before automobiles came along? There must have been mountains of the stuff produced each day.
    F2’s mama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I know London managed it by shipping it to the Netherlands (small sailing barges). There was a reason the Dutch were famous for their market gardens flowers and food. Remind me when we meet up to tell you about an unpublished account I once read about the people who worked on that trade, living on their barges (whole families).

      Delete
  7. I wonder how Tigger feels about the no dogs sign? And how do the dogs feel when they see Tigger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ideally dogs don't see Tigger - we see them first and take avoiding action.

      Delete

Post a Comment