Look Away Now if you get easily Incensed.

Mr B left befre lunch time on Friday.  He drove to Patras.  That bonding business with my van meant that he had to involve the Customs people before he boarded the ferry so that they would complete their paperwork verifying that the van has left the country.

Panagiota (neighbour) unbeknownst to us, had signed as guarantor for Mr B when she first accompanied him to Customs to start the bonding process.  We found out later.  So Mr B made sure everything was done by the book and nothing would come back to haunt P.

He rang to say that they hadn't put him in prison yet .... he had been sent outside the Customs office to wait in the van.

While he was on the call we heard someone speak to him in Greek.  Mr B doesn't understand Greek.  He said to us - "I'll call you back in a minute" but he didn't end the call properly and shortly after that F realized she could hear what was going on, so she put the phone on speaker and I heard it too.

The junior Customs officer who came out to accompany him to the ferry and verify he had boarded demanded Euro20 for his pocket.

F and Mr B mainly pay for stuff by card these days - human plague and all that, fewer people want to handle cash.  He didn't have Euro20.  He did have a 50euro note tucked away to pay for fuel in France.  He would be driving through France on Sunday, and we've had the experience before of France being closed on a Sunday and none of the self-service fuel stations taking UK bank cards (and that was when UK was IN the EU - it isn't going to have got any easier since the start of this year), so he had what we called the 'fuel insurance cash'.

We heard him slide the rear door open and then say to the corrupt official "this is all I have". Of course the greedy little bastard pocketed it, no change, no thanks, and no apology - and certainly no receipt.

We know corruption exists everywhere, but so brazen in a modern, first world country that trumpets its tourism attractions? 

"Why did you pay him?" F asked Mr B when he picked up his phone again.  Everywhere you go in Greece there are signs in shops and restaurants telling us that if we don't get a receipt we don't have to pay.  Government offices should not be exempt from that principle.

"I didn't want to create any scene that might come back on Panagiota."  And we get that, but we also know what Panagiota would have said about it, loudly, and with lots of words that start with M.  We've already had the benefit of her views on that in some previous conversation over coffee (such conversations veer into politics and the state of Greece more often than we've got an answer for, so we just listen), but she is in Crete this week and we might not tell her about this one.

Civil servants have no right to use their position of power to demand money for doing the job they are already paid to do.  In this country they are not underpaid, they are not starving, they have not been out of work for a year of COVID.  Their jobs are protected.... 

We quickly agreed on at least three things that Mr B COULD HAVE done but it's that shock factor when it is something you are not used to and you have to react quickly and instinctively..  Mr B is an honest and decent person and his reactions are honest and decent.

What would you have done?

I should have been there - I'm good at distracting border guards and customs officials.


Comments

  1. It’s disgusting that he demanded a bribe
    This is the stuff that gives Greece and Greeks a bad name.
    I hope karma gets him
    I’m so sorry this happend.
    I can’t say what I would of done in this situation as yes shock takes over and you just don’t have time to think
    All I know is that man is a pig

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately we believe that these days most Greeks would agree with you. People like him are definitely in the minority, and social media seems to be quite adept at flushing out and exposing the worst offenders. For some old habits die hard....

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    I have no doubt at all, Tigger, that your presence would have defused the bomb before it was even launched... however, there it is and definitely incendiary.

    I've knocked about a bit in the world, so I'm afraid this is a situation where I would have risked gaol rather than give in to such a blatant extortion. Not that that would have happened, because I have also learned that most such opportunistic extortionists are cowards of the most yellow shade and any show of being mentally stronger than them has them making all sorts of excuses for their behaviour. Pawtikyoularly if you mention knowing a local bigwig. ... so worth developing some close connections with local wiggy biggys, jus' sayin'.

    Such charlatans have been met in Africa and India, which one kinda expects - but blow me down if there wasn't an occasion in OZ when it was tried on me. Traffic cop. I as NOT speeding, but he did his best to get a hundred bucks from me. I took all his numbers and said I would be in touch via Sgt ** from the Hornsby station. You never saw a bloke turn from tan to white in quite such a hurry.

    I do hope Mr B isn't too shaken by the episode. That post-event anger can make one a bit shaky. Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately Mr B is a fairly calm person. Someone who puts it down to experience and makes sure he doesn't get caught like that twice. Even he said he had GBP20 notes on him and should have insisted that UK money was all he was carrying but the blatant entitlement in the guy's demand knocked him completely off-guard.

      Delete
  3. Such a shame for Mr B to start his travels on such a low note. Bet it wouldn’t have been low notes coming from F’s mouth if she’d been there!
    Maybe I/we’ve been lucky in our travels to have never been subject to this behaviour, we’ve heard about it from others we’ve met up with though. Even years later in some case, In people who were far more travelled than us, they were all still in a state of shock so goodness how I’d feel if it happened to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would probably have been shocked too, but as I very seldom carry cash these days - COVID has done wonders for the advances in contactless card payments and it is an ideal excuse for not having cash - "let's go inside and do this on the government's payment machine shall we? " would have had to have been the response. "And then I'll get a receipt, like all the signs in the shops say I should."

      Delete
  4. i am really reallly good at coming up with things that should have been done AFTER the fact, as in Hindsight is 20/20.... with the shock I would probably have done what he did, but then beat myself up for not doing this and this or that and that.... I do that a lot but have never had anyone do this to me, because I have never crossed a border into another country. it does make me angry for him though. My hubby is the opposite of yours and I hate to think what i would be posting if someone did this to him. Jail for sure. now what did he do for gas in France? per your question on blog today, yes i have changed the header several times since the upgrade. Blogger did some behind the scenes thing that screwed up some of the blog templates, one of which I use... the help forum had a man that posted a work around, which i followed carefully since i have never touched HTML before, the header is back the right size on all devices EXCEPT Mobile phones, now that has TWO headers, on on top of the other. now i am wondering how many use their phones to read my blog......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - we came up with stuff after the fact too. Are you and I the only two bloggers out there who don't use html? I'm beginning to get the impression that other people paddle through that stuff with the sort of abandon that I reserve for walking (an activity with which I am sufficiently familiar to be able to repeat the performance on a daily basis).

      Delete

Post a Comment