Bits of old kit

What bit of kit do you have in your kitchen or workshop that you possibly inherited from an earlier generation of your family, (or your grandparent had one you didn't inherit so you scoured junk shops till you found your own), that you wouldn't swap for modern technology, or even a modern version of the same?


I've watched F winding the handle on this thing loads of times. It turns my chicken into tiny pieces so I don't have to slice it up with my teeth (of which I have a lot missing).  She also uses it for making falafel and for turning leftover roasted meat into pie filling and something she calls rissoles (they look like meatballs to me).

It it made of some cast metal that weighs enough to kill a cat if it fell on one. F is of the view that modern ones are flimsy by comparison. And she seems to have mastered the delicate balance that enables her to mince stuff up without it dancing all over the place. Mr B on the other hand can't load it, wind the handle and keep it all on one place (no matter how tightly he screws the clamp that holds it) because he doesn't seem to have enough hands for the job.

It turns out we have an electricity powered motor driven one with sausage making attachments and all, but she never uses it. It fits onto the big Kenwood cake mixer, which is also very seldom used (all cakes, biscuits, pies and puddings being mixed by hand), because F says assembly is a faff and it's noisy.  She's very sensitive about noise.

The big mixer also takes up a lot of bench space. It gets dragged out of its cupboard for beating eggwhites for pavlova (a recent development in our kitchen), mixing brioche, and (also recently) to drive a blender to make gazpacho.

F's Narna (who might have been one previous owners of the old mincer) called her blender a 'vitamizer'. That is one of our digressions.


Another bit of 'old kit' is this thing F calls a mouli. She uses it whenever a recipe calls for something to be pushed through a sieve. It makes short work of that task. Her Mum used it for processing baby food, for processing tomatoes for canning, and for making smooth vegetable soup. There has been no processing of baby food in this house, soups get zapped with a stick blender these days,  but the tomatoes for canning still go through this thing because nothing else deals to the skins like it does (and cooked tomato skins make F have furballs... that's another story). It also got used for turning cooked crab apples into puree when our tree in Havant was in full production - wind the handle, pulp out the bottom, skin, pips and stalks left in the top.

Finally there is this.... which does the job that big Kenwood might do, but hangs in a wall hook, requires no assembly, and wouldn't kill a cat if it fell on one.


I'm assured modern ones with the handle on the side simply don't 'cut it' - whatever that means.

This one is so old and so worn out that years ago F's Dad even bronze welded some of the worn out beater wires because 'you couldn't buy them like this any more'. F's Dad is no longer with us. It will eventually become unrepairable so if anyone out there knows of a business making hand driven egg beaters to this design, let us know.

There are cupboards full of other surprising bits of old kit. Some are seldom used but F assures me that each piece does a job that no other bit of kit can replicate and that gives it a 'right to remain'. What surprises me about many of them is the weight.  If 'kill a cat' was your measure of mass, our kitchen could kill whole clowders of them. 

That's what you get when your grandmothers cooked on coal ranges and you have their recipes and ..... their bits of old kit.

Comments

  1. Hari OM
    OOOOOHHHHHH... Yes, Mum had one of the old mincers (grinders) and we were using it up until not that long ago. I realise now that it never got mentioned in the clearout - hmmmm... there was also a hand whisk with the handle on top and I totally agree with F about the 'new' side-placed nonsense. Nobody who designed that way ever actually used one... We never had a mouli - just wooden spoon and seive! Oh kitchenalia - quite the collectors items these days. I did see an article recently (can't quite recall where) that was about the fact that most kitchens have some ridiculous $$worth of unused gadgetry in them these days. My so-called sandwich maker probably falls into that category. It is hopeless, but I bring it out every six months or so just to remind myself it wasn't worth the faff and should just stick plain sandwiches. Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this post. I smiled and laughed all the way through but I didn't laugh about killing the cat. Stay safe Tigger. My dad had one very similar 2 the grinder but it didn't have as many parts and mother had that kind of beater thing. When mother died I took a few things and when Daddy died no one wanted any of it so we got rid of all of it. The reason I didn't keep the sausage thing it's because I don't do any of that stuff I don't can I don't cook I hate the I would live in a hotel and have room service if I could. That said it's great that you kept it and that you can use it and that you know all those interesting things that you wrote about and then when this world starts to fall apart even more than it is now you will both have things to use and we want and I'll be out of luck because I won't know how. I do have a wooden bowl with a funny-looking blade thing that you chop things in the wooden bowl and I use that. Not often but I do use it and the other things I have are baking dishes that I use one for when I cook Apple's and I have three cook pots that are very old and cook so much better than new

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love my old kitchen bits! I used to have a mincer but sold it a few years ago (to a guy who intended to use it to chop up burley). I treasure my old egg beater - it is older than me! My mother received it as a wedding present and it still works better than anything else. I don't have a mouli anymore either, but I would never want to be rid of my little mint mouli for chopping up mint for mint sauce. Or my potato masher or egg poaching pan! Maybe I am old fashioned, but these old things do the job and usually much better than the new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got one of those old mincers and the hand mixer. I thought I'd use them but don't. I much prefer the electric versions.
    The mouli got a lot of use when my kids were young but has disappeared a long time ago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might have more generous bench space that we have. F finds herself fighting the appliances for enough space to roll out pastry; and some of our cupboards are so low that some appliances don't fit underneath so they have to be dragged in and out of cupboards ....

      Delete

Post a Comment