180 at the curb

Donkey can't (or won't) climb up the curb from the street to the footpath.

So F spins him around and makes him climb backwards up the curb.  

It makes my head swim.  Every time we cross the street I'm contemplating the scenery and suddenly its 'swivel bump' time.  I hate backing up and I hate 'proceeding under tow'.  I'm driving, so I have to see where we are going.

F's Dad had a friend called Eddie.  Eddie and his brother were born in Ireland but emigrated to New Zealand as young adults quite a few decades ago.  Eddie knows a thing or two about mules and donkeys.

By the way did you know that lots of the Chindits (Burma, WWII) muleteers were Irish? (Digression)

Eddie says it's because the Irish understand mules and donkeys better than anyone else in the world.  It might be politically incorrect to pass on his reasoning, so we will give you a direct example of Eddie-think:

Another friend had an eventing horse that they trailered around various gymkhanas and A&P shows.  The horse hated travelling so to keep it calm in the horse box they let it travel with a donkey that kept it company in its paddock at home.  That worked for the horse, but the donkey hated the horse-box - or hated being told what to do.  At the end of every show-day it's owners and their friends could be seen, two pulling from the front, two pushing at the back, trying to load the thoroughly stubborn, and strenuously resisting, donkey.  

Eddie wanders past and stops. (Que: strong Irish accent)

"You're doing it all wrong."

"How so?"

"You have to think like the donkey."

Whereupon Eddie takes the donkey by the halter, turns him around, lines him up with the ramp and starts pulling the donkey away from the trailer.

Donkey backs up the ramp into the horse-box.

Job done.

I wonder if that is why I go backwards over all the curbs.

Comments

  1. i can't type due to rolling on the floor dying from laughter. this is so funny. and having had a dad who was part Irish, and stubborn and a mule/donkey, I GET IT.... i also inherited that trait. i liked seeing your donkey and I don't like to ride backwards easy or even in the back seat going forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. F's Dad used to call F 'pig-headed' which apparently means stubborn. F prefers 'determined'. I wondrr why pigs and mules get such a bad rap.

      Delete
  2. I have to admit it sounds like good advice I wonder if the same could be done to idiots of the human kind 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I'd want to think like some idiots - but you have a point.

      Delete
  3. Hari Om
    MOL... oh that was good for a midnight giggle to see me to bed. Ta for that image, Tigger. It is also good to actually see an image of you mounted upon your own donkey. Fine steed indeed! Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason I was doing my worried look in that photo. That's probably just F anthropomorphizing again. Lots of people say i look worried when I'm totally relaxed. Furrings and purrings Mr T

      Delete
    2. Hari OM
      It's those fine tiggerish brow markings, dear boy - gives you a sort of serious intellectual look! Yxx

      Delete
  4. I'm with you, Tigger. I like to face forward as well - sitting backwards on a bus is NOT something I enjoy. Loved the donkey story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like to be in control of the accelerator. My old HGV had a 'go faster' mode but i can't seem to find that one on Donkey. Say hello to Mittens for me. xxx Mr T

      Delete
  5. I can just imagine the situation, it's making me giggle, seems to be much like a baby in a pram, trying to navigate through obstacles.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment