Seven Flights of Stairs

Three lifts serve the occupants of F's office building.  The doors on the two lifts allocated to the hoi-polloi are too narrow for Donkey, so we sneak round the corner and use the big lift (in the posh lobby) reserved for the building owner and his senior managers.

We have to pass the concierge office to do our sneaking - both concierge(s) love me so no one has blocked our access to the posh lift.  Sometimes I climb down from Donkey and wait by the lift door as it descends for us.  

I have worked out how lift doors work and where to stand to get quickest squeeze through as they start to open.

F did warn me that someone might be in the descending lift, but the only time it has happened it turned out to be Dimitra, the concierge, so she didn't care that I greeted her in the doorway and I got a chin scratch.

Our office is on floor 7.

Last week, on one evening as we prepared to descend and wend our way home, the posh lift lights were not working.  Essentially, the posh lift was not working.  

So that's it then, slow bumping down 7 flights (8 if you count the mezzanine) of marble stairs.  We encountered a few people who probably hadn't realized that the 7th floor office had a feline office supervisor, but no one seemed all that fazed by the discovery.  

I asked F what happens if it isn't working in the morning - do we slow bump up 7 (and a mezzanine) flights of stairs.  She replied that we could but it would be easier to stable Donkey on the ground floor and rough it in the commoners' lifts - or make me walk up all 7 flights with her.  Apparently I have been told by the vet to take more exercise.  I never heard that; I'll take my chances in the cheap lifts thank you.

Now, where's that lift?


Comments

  1. Hari OM
    MOL... oh I love that selective hearing at the end. I nearly splurted tea. Thanks goodness for silicone keyboard covers. Mind you, seven flights as a stretch. I would be hunting lifts too! Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And he used to love stairs - they seemed to be the ultimate 'now where does this go?' invitation to wander off. Hotels in particular. I had to drag him out of a staff bedroom in one hotel we stayed in when he evaded me and shot up the stairs to the staff quarters. (F)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Less successful at going up. We'll try it for going down the next time the lift is denied us.

      Delete
  3. you live the MOST amazing life ever for a feline... the lift sounds to small for me to use because of claustophobia, and I could never do those stairs and due to old age memory could most likly not be ablbe to do F's job which means I have to exist in your stories. which i did and do and will continue to do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. F's memory is entirely shot away - she just wings it most days. I know because I am sitting here supervising it.

      Delete
  4. Humphrey is with you on the climbing stairs....exercise is a human obsession not a feline one. It is most important to guard those extra grammes you have spent so long carefully saving with one of your nine lives as losing them is another unfathomable human habit. That dratted VET rather implied that I was a touch on the stout side last time I was forced to go....I have worked hard to maintain my plumpness ever since! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humphrey-you guard those reserves with your remaining lives. I seem to be on rations at the moment so I have taken to walking F at 5am with a claw in the shoulder to demand early breakfast. Sometimes it takes a few re-applications to ensure she can't go back to sleep before i get what i want.

      Delete
  5. ha I thought you were talking about giving the concierge a chin scratch

    ReplyDelete
  6. No way could I do that many stairs. Good on you for being able too
    I’d definitely work out a way to get the donkey into the smaller lift
    There are way too many stairs in Greece I think lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donkey would just have to wait at the bottom. He would ok with a carrot to keep him quiet.

      Delete

Post a Comment