Noseeums and Koprena Lighthouse

F said she did see 'em, but they bit her anyway. Now she's covered in red polka dots. They were more 'nohearums' - so they probably weren't mosquitos but they left dozens of really angry red and yellow spots on her. I'm actively discouraged from 'irritating' them.

Never mind the things that irritate me....like toothpaste, and having my dreadlocks teased out. Mr B has taken over the toothpaste torture. You can't trust anyone these days.

Today we visited a lighthouse - Koprena.



So there was the drive through the countryside - citrus, olives, kiwifruit, and a general appearance of only recently been rescued from a long period of neglect. Some of the orchards still look more like jungle than horticulture. One had been tackled with a serious piece of machinery that slashed up the seriously dense undergrowth - and all the pipework for the watering system.

Whoops!
Kiwifruit
The whole area has been claimed from the sea (there are drainage ditches and very tall reeds - think 'Norfolk',  readers in England), and the margins are still subject to tussle; humans push out, the sea pushes back.... The Wash maybe...??

Then there was the 1km easy walk

It is 'path' all the way.




Sea statice and Samphire




There were dogs at the taverna by the fancy new marina and fishing harbour there (no village to speak of, just a museum in the old Customs House, a taverna, and a Marina that looks like a serious investment of EU money (if the big poster signs are anything to go by). 

My humans ate fried anchovies and salad while I watched from the safety and comfort of my van.
By the way if you have read this far, I'm supposed to tell you that Amvrikikos is an important and protected wetlands and wildlife reserve. 

We saw flamingoes, and egrets, and raptors and, and, and cormorants.

We found some even less travelled roads to return by

Pictures of flamingoes tomorrow.....

Comments

  1. You are certainly getting out and about.
    Those pesky noseeums always get me. I must taste good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are sure you tasting good is a great bonus to all people around you. You can be the 'honey trap' for biting insects!

      Delete
  2. wild excitement is what I am picking up from you and F and Mr. B.. the lighthouse is beautiful in its simplicity... unlike most of the ones I have seen, the vistas make me smell salt air and rushes.. and the road home looks most interesting to me... what a great outing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking us along on your journey it’s a part of Greece I’ve never even heard of
    I guess the downside of having relatives is that you tend to just visit them and you don’t quite get to do the off road tourist stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so quiet out at that lighthouse i thought I'd gone deaf. F assured me there are places that are silent like that. You could sometimes hear the egrets flying along. It is about 3-4 hours drive from the big smoke so you could talk your rellies into visiting with you - a weekend visit. xxx Mr T

      Delete
  4. Hari Om
    OMC, Tigger ol' boy, you are truly getting your travel mojo on again and F has done your blog proud to have all those wonderfurs piccies to show us!!! I wonder, are those noseeums anywhere near as bad as the tooweetoseeums we have here in the Bonny Land??? Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We know about Scottish midgies. My humans have an isle of Aran story about them, and they also make it down to Kielder where they make miserable the lives of campers. The ones here are big enough to see, almost big enough to leave a contrail, just silent and good at dodging slaps. Xxx Mr T

      Delete
  5. Really appreciating travelling along with you on this trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of that area. It looks interesting, with anchovies and wine for some. Thanks for the travel guide

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment