Mavrodafni. Black Laurel

Mesolongi was once again the stopover of our last night on holiday. (I recognized the apartment and went straight to my favorite seat on their balcony.)  F and Mr B went out somewhere because it's that kind of town; humans can walk and bike in all sorts of places that cars are excluded from.

When they came back F was a tad wobbly and smelled of sweet wine. It seems that she had accidentally discovered mavrodafni. They had found an out of the way taverna type place and on studying the menu had decided to reject generic 'sweet, semi-sweet, dry; red or white' wine by the glass in favour of the only thing on the 'wine list' with a name. Mavrodafni

It is so dark it's nearly black and took them both by surprise.  After some furtive goggling they realized why it tastes like it did - it's like port wine - and they had a big glassful each. 

Then, they assert, it was a misunderstanding that caused the waitress to deliver a second large glass each when the first ones were empty.

By the time Mr B was helping F to her feet, their quiet back street venue had filled every seat, and there was a queue forming of people waiting for tables to be vacated. I think my humans had been enjoying themselves emptying all those glasses.

Now that we are back in Piraeus F is looking for somewhere to buy more of that poison: "for Christmas" she said.

Slippery slope, I say.



Guess what this is.....

Comments

  1. I don't know what that fuzzy thing is, but I LOVE that zippered vase.
    Keep drinking the Mavro-wotsit. It sounds excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's powerful stuff. I've been bowled over by it once, or twice

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the zipper vase, truly do.. I am glad F did not try to zip the vase after that many glasses of the new posion. be sure to add catnip to her list for you for christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lovely Long lunch
    I love the creative pottery but have no idea what the second one is

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun evening :)
    I have no idea what the picture is about either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    ..."trademark exotic aromas of marzipan, caramelized dark fruits and spices."... ooh, even teetotaller me might be tempted by this one!!! I too love that vase. As for the swirly perspex thing over the tiles... is it actually ice being made for skating on? Great fun to watch all those Mavrdafni tipplers trying that out!!! Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment