On the Road Again

Was that Willie Nelson?

I've been foiled in my attempts to be making music with my friends....we've been on the road again.

Road to Korinth... that means Elefsina again, but this time instead of hauling up onto the motorway we decided to go along the Old National Road. Gurgle doesn't like you doing that, it keeps reminding the Naviguesser that there's a quicker route.

We aren't in a hurry.

She's shouting at the Gurgle thing and it's ignoring her and swtiching us onto the faster route every time we make a small diversion to look at something vaguely interesting. The atmosphere in the cab is getting a bit fraught. I retire to the back, keeping to myself the observation that if you turned Gurgle off and just read the road signs you might make fewer attempts at gaining (or avoiding) access to the motorway. 

There is the minor inconvenience of the Old National Road being closed in several places for road works. That should be viewed as opportunity in my opinion. You never know what treasures you might accident upon.

Fish farms in a glittering blue sea, nice beaches, ancient ruins, rackety old bridges, ....




And the discovery that Korinth has its own blight of petroleum refineries hidden away at the port of Kalamaki.



There is evidence there used to be 2 rackety bridges - one each way....


We round the corner at Korinth after crossing the rackety bridge at the Saronic end of the canal and head south. F starts following road signs. Gurgle in a fit of pique, decides that instead of the main and signposted route to destination, he'll direct us down a goat track. 

We would love to know who writes his algorithms.

We surfed along the beach of Metamorfosi, crawled up a winding concrete road with at least three evidences of someone having driven in it before the concrete set (and they blame cats for making footprints in wet concrete!), and eventually emerged on what should have been the obvious road, traversed an isthmus, and pulled up in a town called Methana.

To be continued...

Comments

  1. Lovely scenes of sunny blue sky. Enjoy your road trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what you found in Methana.. the fish farms are mine blowing, what a superb idea! love the photos of them too not just the idea. I have never driven with gurgle, car is to old and I tried one time using the phone and it drove me crazy as soon as we left the house, the first thing it said was the longest route to get 18 miles away. enjoy your trip, I enjoy it when you are ON THE ROAD because I get to see what you see, traveling from my chair

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari Om
    Oh I am a great advocate of a Gurgle-less driving experience, Tigger... but folk who have them seem to think the have to be switched on... hey ho. I love to just find out where my wheels will go.

    I had a giggle at the misguidance of your Gurgle as one of my fave vanlifer troupe, who have been traversing Turkey during the whole snowmageddon and stormy winter have found that their Gurgle LOVES an adventure... they are not so impressed with the scratches that resulted on their home, or the mud, or the having to reverse three miles down one particular sheep track... fun, ain't it??? Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another road trip.
    I just crank up the music and sing away while we travel
    Google just gets In the way

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh dear I have to say that I am one of those people who randomly stops and takes photos but our one navman usually gets put in time out due to sending us the wrong way regularly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment