Volcano

Hot bath safely behind us we meandered onward anti-clockwise around the nearly island.

We climbed a hill on a narrow road with a double white line painted along the middle.  You going up and the bloke driving down would both have to be driving a golf carts in order to keep yourselves within your allotted lane and not tumble off the side of the mountain.

The wild flowers included lavender and bright anemones. We edged through a couple of little villages, up and up and up..

...and eventually downward again and we started to see evidence of the most recent volcanic event that happened here (about 2500 years ago) - jumbled rocky slopes that still don't support much in the way of vegetation.  

The last bit of the journey to the crater is done on foot (F's feet in my case).  The start of that path was rocky and a bit tricky (for a human - easy for a cat), and steep in places so that F zipped me inside my pack and swung it off her front like I was a baby koala bear while she went along with both her hands and feet.  

I taught her that.  4 feet are better than 2.

The rocks are red.  Mr B discovered they are also very sharp.  The crater is not like the round craters you see on the moon, or the steaming, glowing, smoking ones I have seen on TV.  It is more like a grotto - a protected little alcove of lush greenery, really attractive little caves that I was not allowed to explore (humans wouldn't fit - that makes them nervous), ferns and mosses, and different kinds and colours of rocks. 

Mr B standing guard on an interesting cave...
You can see original mountain on one side and the kind of stuff that was blown out on the other.

I saw robins.... much more interesting than rocks.



It was the quietest place that we have been anywhere in Greece.  It was a dead calm day so there was not even rustling of leaves.
That is a view of dead calm sea, looking towards Korinth from our seat in the crater. 

My humans brought a kite with them this weekend and never got a chance to try it out.

 

Comments

  1. Hari OM
    Sods law, that, carry kite and for once the wind dies... and pawhaps the hyoomons preventing your spelunking activity might have been in your favour, Tigger dear - who knows where you might have ended up. Have you read Jules Verne??? I must say, the views were worth the trek, though... hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you try that kite again today? It's blowing a gale here

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is really amazing to me, have never seen a volcano of any kind, not even from a distance. I like all those cute little caves, but doing the 4 legged climb is now beyond my abilites. I love the idea of you riding in front all zipped up for safety. would love to see you zipped or not zipped. waiting for the next part of this thrilling adventure

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. The titans were obviously angry that day
    What a beautiful view. Your having quite the adventure

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not being allowed to explore those caves must have been so frustrating for you, friend Tigger. A bit like when my humans shut the door and won't let me into the room. I just KNOW I am missing out on something!
    Purrs, Mittens 😻

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caves and cupboards Mittens, caves and cupboards. They all need to be inspected. xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment