Broke a Spoke

F came limping home again yesterday morning, whipped the back wheel off her bike, loaded it onto Donkey over the top of me and set off for work by some different route that took us past a bike shop.  It wasn't open.

I was given to understand that the wheel had not one but two broken spokes in it, and she had noticed it wobbling as she rode around the port area in the time before work.

To the amusement of by-passers, the concierge and our colleagues, I arrived at work with a spare bike wheel still perched on top.

My lunch box is tied up in that bento bag in the bottom

On the way home the space was taken up by an entirely new wheel, purchased at lunch time.  The old one just wasn't worth repairing it seems.  Spending money on new wheels was not included in my budget, but F assured me she would not cut back on the investment in cat food.

Today F went cycling again before she had properly checked the gear changing adjustments - stupid woman. She was late returning and covered in black stuff when she came in, and sheepishly explained she had dropped the chain off the gears and jammed something which took a while to unwind.

That'll teach her to think she can just recalculate the gear numbers in her head and avoid the one on the end .

(PS - did you spot the sneaky chocolate bar?)

Comments

  1. I am impressed! I can only just about manage to sit astride my bike and wobble a few yards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try trainer wheels or a trike like the one F has lined up for when she is too wobbly on her bike. She said she always wanted a chain drive trike when she was a kid and she is going to get one in her second childhood.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    Struth, Tigger, I hope there was some payment for taxi-ing that wheel about the place??? A flake of finest tuna, at least... and I am glad that F has honed her bike maintenance skills through the 'learn by mistakes' methodology!!! Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx
    G=Guru!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so is the chocolate bar yours are hers? no I did not see it until you mentioned it. What I did see is Tigger looking like you are thinking what is up with the tire on my head? sounds like F's day was not one she would want to repeat... I shudder to think of what a new wheel costs these days. but its better than driving a car that has to be fed fuel over and over.. the price is jumping up and up and up... hope her leg is ok

    ReplyDelete
  4. TIgger, I'm er, just wondering if you have any idea how one might go about making sure a bicycle has broken spokes and is thus unrideable?
    I'm asking purely out of academic interest, you understand.
    Toodle-oo!
    Nobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Uncharted potholes' are worth doing some academic research on Nobby. Them, and those divets in the road where someone buried a cable and didn't fill in the trench properly. How good are you at digging? xxx Mr T

      Delete
    2. I've been practicing my digging in the garden. Gail tells me the road surfaces in Aberdeen are about 80% pothole, so things look promising!

      Delete
    3. Aberdeen sounds like Athens - possibly without the dust.

      Delete
  5. Yes I did spot the chocolate. You can’t get that past me. Lol
    Hopefully the bike is now all sorted and ready to be used with out fuss or bother
    I’m sure you were a funny sight with that spare wheel over your head

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment