Assault on the Nose

My lift was OOO (out of order)

Now in English, 'right out of order' could mean unacceptable behaviour. It can also mean: not working.

Our office building is in two parts. The 1950s part has two lifts, small and old-fashioned. The Annex, which as its name suggests was added on is, by definition of being added on, younger, and has a much bigger, more modern lift with wide doors.   Our office is in the Annex, but when we came here we were told the modern lift is the 'owners' lift and we must use the old ones; the lifts the plebs use.

Donkey doesn't fit through the doors of the old lifts.  I go to and from the office in the posh lift. I have never met the 'owner' by the way.

Last week MY lift was OOO one evening and we had a choice between bumping down 7 flights of stairs, or wrangling Donkey into one of the plebs lifts. F actually made me get off Donkey and walk into the down-class lift on my own legs. Then she laid Donkey on his side and dragged him by his back legs through the narrow gap and with a bit of twisting (and fighting the door), we all got mashed in there and descended without the bumping.

Someone with cheap deodorant that makes your eyes bleed has been using my posh lift in the mornings this week. What an assault on the nose! (And the eyes - it really does make your eyes water.) A 'lad' and his girlfriend passed us on the street the other day and he was wearing the same stuff. You could almost see a trail of it contaminating the air he had passed through. It would be a bilious shade of green; a poisonous looking cloud. His girlfriend seemed unconcerned by it. She must be nose blind. In the lift I get down on the floor and put my nose against the crack in the door. I can breathe the fresher air in the lift shaft as it races past the crack. F tries to hold her breath.

Fly spray is possibly less poisonous than that smell. What possesses some humans to bathe themselves in such offensiveness? What's wrong with a good lick of spit?

Puzzled.



Comments

  1. I know how you feel about that noxious chemical reek. It would probably be healthier to have your nostrils assaulted by the powerful underarm stench of well matured sweat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    I hear ya, Tigger... my asthma kicks in at times like that. There was a fashion some time ago of wearing yards of perfume, but it did die down after a while. But a few folk are still under the impression that you must smell them coming from five yards - or know that they've been there even if you never saw them. I have a couple of pals who just don't understand the effect their perfume has on the world around them. Particularlhy asthmatics... and I have been known to do exactly what you did, T-cat... stick my nose out the nearest window or door crack gasping for fresh untainted air!!! Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Might need a bit of soap to go with your spit Tigger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh forgot to mention ‘wagons roll’ will be in a couple of weeks time. Four days drive up - four days drive back plus 11 weeks of sun + sand + sea…..back home right at the end of September

    ReplyDelete
  5. T, you have landed on one of my pet peeves. I will spear your ears the rant and just say agree 100%. we had a favorite restaurant and one of the wait staff, a male, wore this stuff you are describing and we had to move to the other side of the room. I could not breathe. and it ruined my food taste. when the world shut down and we did not go there for 2 years, we went back 4 weeks ago and the staff is all new and no stinky stuff. I can tell you I could not ride in that small lift, i nearly passed out from claustrophobia reading about your riding it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teenage boys are the same all over I suspect. They over use the deodorant and body sprays
    They should wear toxic gas signs to warn the public
    It’s even worse when they’re in a group!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about obnoxious personal scent smells - my pet hatred is women who put so much powder and perfume on that the air is so thick it is impossible to breathe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment