Rabid EU


Having arrived in the dark, I have yet to see anything of Dubrovnik other than the inside of a very nice apartment. One of the owners cats stuck its head in to say hello. Mr B shooed it out.  It's big.  It had a mate that was nearly twice the size of me.  I won't  be venturing out on my own.

Montenegrin Charm


We had a rainy drive north through Albania (Albanians pronounce it Albaneea, with 2 short a's and emphasis on the ee bit). We reckon the south is nicer than the north. Having crossed into Montenegro, the trip became mountainous, even though coastal. Montenegro (means Black Mountain) is a popular tourist destination... charming in an 'apartment block' kind of way.

We did go on a small ferry that put us ashore facing some old-world charm, but before long we were crossing the border into Croatia.  That means re-entry into the EU.

Do I look worried?

They delayed us for ages and asked questions about my passport and where the results of my blood test were recorded? What blood test? They want my blood? 

My humans messed up thinking I needed only rabies vaccination (which I have) but hadn't read the fine print on the back of the page posted in the annex to some regulation hyper-linked to the sub-paragraph of a footnote in which it says that if I travel from a non-listed non-EU county into Croatia, I also need to have a certified rabies antibody titration blood test done at an EU approved laboratory and recorded in my passport. There are lots of listed non-EU countries but Montenegro isn't one of them. (Whether that is because of rabies, or for other political reasons is beyond the analysis of my blog.)

The man in the box eventually let us through but said 'get it done before you come back'.  

Ha ha ha we aren't coming back.😹

Mr B said "yes we are Tigger. Dubrovnik is in a bit of Croatia that is south of Bosnia Herzegovina (the rest of Croatia is north), and we are going to Mostar in BH next, and then...."🙀

We WERE going to Mostar next. 

Bosnia Herzegovina is another one of those non-listed non-EU countries (i.e. non exempted by being not mentioned) in that annex to the regulation that you would only have read if you had found the footnote and followed the link and....worked out all the double negatives and......well you get the picture. I am in the EU now and there seems to be no point pushing my luck.

For the rest of the Non-EU world who is wondering what the heck this is all about: EU has endemic rabies. UK is rabies free. I got vaccinated in UK while it was still in the EU, and we travelled to fellow EU member country, and rabid, Greece. UK stopped being in the EU. For me to go home from this rabid part of the world all the rabies-free UK wants to see is that my rabies vaccination is up to date. (It is.)

However, to enter rabid EU from equally rabid neighbouring (with forested mountainous borders) non-EU countries,  I also need to be blood tested to show that the vaccine is working.  

Methinks.....

Actually it pays not to try and reason it out. I suspect reasoning doesn't come into it.

I mean, the man didn't even scan my chip to make sure I am the same cat described in the passport.  It's just mind-numbing regulation isn't it!

For me, passport photos are optional, I'm thinking of using this one.




Comments

  1. We don’t have rabies here either. And I thank all the gods for that not would cost me a small fortune to have all the fur family vaccinated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could spread it out - the vaccines i get last 3 years. Xxx Mr T

      Delete
  2. There are a few rabid people who post on our local community Facebook page . They must have slipped in unchecked at the border.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Mr B's experience of local FB is anything to go by we could probably provide enough evidence for a scientifically proven link between Facebook and the spread of rabies.

      Delete
  3. Tigger, should you wish to cross back into Croatia from Bosnia, Gail can recommend a remote mountain road between Mostar and Metkovic where the border post is manned by a single guard who might be fast asleep on the job. (He was when Gail and her small group of cyclists slipped back in to the EU, totally unchecked, about six years ago at the height of a migrant crisis.) As for the rabies shots, Gail understands that the requirement for the antibody test is because a disturbingly high proportion of the initial rabies shots do not produce the required antibodies.
    Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aahhh! Well I have had more than one rabies stabbing. I guess you will need rabies stabbings if you visit anywhere across the water (except possibly NI). Paw smacks Mr T

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    Hmmmm. Several of the van lifers I follow have pets and I recall they did visit vets en route to meet the necessary criteria; I guess if you are aware and prepared it is not quite such a faff. Having it appear unawares would be annoying... I seem to think they did have to have a 24-hour titer test before re-entry to the UK also... jus' warnin' ya. I do know that one regular tripper went to the trouble of registering their cat in France so that they can minimise some of said faff. Anyway; I hope it doesn't curb your enjoyment of the trip, Tigger dear. Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There appears to be different vetinary requirements for cats and dogs going into UK, but we will check again (3 checks on uk gov webste done so far). And F declared me and all the pages of my passport to Customs UK when applying to reimport all our household goods. We got an approval back before we left Greece. Fingers crossed... furrings and purrings Mr T

      Delete
  5. Rabies is in every state of the USA and vaccination annually for dogs, if the cat is in the house only I think they get by but not sure. this has turned into not only an ADVENTURE but a Really TRULY ADVENTURE just by crossing borders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We knew about rabies being in wild animals in some US states. Didn't know it was all. It wasn't meant to be THAT KIND of adventure. (We have a once in three years rabies vaccination in EU & UK).

      Delete
  6. oh dear, i feel sick just reading about your encounter with the authorities! luckily for you, your humans managed to talk their way out of that sticky situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My humans didn't talk their way out - they just did dumb white-haired granny and poor puddy-tat.... and got let off.

      Delete
  7. So complicated! Are you returning in time to be appointed Chancellor? I hear no.10 Larry is next PM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry has experience for the job of PM. As chancellors go it appears that tge jo goes to the least e perienced...maybe I wou,d be fit for the job. Where do I apply? xxx Mr T

      Delete

Post a Comment