Science Cat

Get me a white coat. 

I have three new types of litter to test. Couriers seem to have been arriving at our door all day today.  Because I share my new indoor bathroom with the electrical cabinet, I am not allowed to use the wood pellet kind of cat litter we had in Greece because it tends to generate a bit of dust.  (Think flour mill....)

KaBOOOOFF

Coconut fibre appealed to my humans.  I have to say that from my point of view it is nice to scratch about in (good paw feel), and it is well absorbent.  My humans said the up side for them was it's very light to carry boxes of the little bricks back from the shop, can be used as mulch on the flower garden, it definitely makes no dust and doesn't really stick to my furry toes, but we both agree that it has about zero capacity for absorbing and disguising, or locking in, smells.  Wood pellets scored really high on that criteria.  

F also noted that it camouflaged the lumps and made the daily clearing of the box really difficult.

Therefore let the trials begin.  We have three new kinds, 2 clumping, one not. They are all made of some kinds of plant material that can be mulched into the flowerbeds when discarded from my tray.  They are considerably heavier than coconut fibre. They are all light coloured....

We have yet to agree on all the criteria they must meet, but no dust and no smell is high on the list for both of us. Scratchability, and it's capacity to hold a hole (when I've dug one) is important to me. In roadbuilding terms, its the 'angle of the batter' that matters.  Whether is sticks to my toes matters to F, but I feel that I can always wipe my feet on the carpet.

Apologies for the scatological subject but it is just an example of how science can be applied to anything.  


Scientific method being applied to testing the fireplace

No one is paying me to do science, or post the next picture of the competing products (competing for space in my en suite) - but they could if they wanted to....  I rather fancy being in control of my own cat food account.


Comments

  1. Oh but this is a totally fascinating post Tigger. You know we love science in the Gail and Nobby household. But really, you had me at 'indoor bathroom'. What! You are allowed to go to the bathroom indoors? Gosh, I guess there are different rules for cates...
    Toodle-oo!
    Nobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobby, I spent 10 years of my life going to toilet outdoors in all weathers and seasons. Only moving to Greece changed that because we lived in a second floor apartment and F wouldn't let me mix with the locals. Now that we are back in a cold wet place, I am allowed to have an indoor toilet for my night time relief (I'm an old man cat now). Perhaps if you learned to dig a hole and bury your doings you might be allowed a night time dirt box too Nobby. paw smacks Mr T PS from F - I've gotten used to not being woken in the night by a cat with his legs crossed wanting to go outdoors.

      Delete
  2. When my cats were indoor only we used a clumping kind that was kinda like clay. It was very easy to scoop out the lumps, it did cut the smell down and it was natural so A tick in every box. Although my cats did seem to spread it everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, our local feline gangs have decided that P's new raised beds for next year's veg make an ideal toilet facility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect. They are probably conducting some scientific experiment and you can''t know whether you or the gardens are the 'guinea pig'. I'm waiting for F to get the allotment dug over in order to do some experimenting up there.

      Delete
  4. I tried various litters and one very expensive one relating yo wheat, supposedly kind to the earth didn't fo well. One of my cats would dig a hole, pee, and the results turned to a kind of cement thst was immovable from the sides of the box. It bonded. So don't use the wheat stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah. We think there is a wheat one. Looks like we have that delight ahead of us. Oops!

      Delete
  5. Hari OM
    I am all i favour of scientific thinking, Tigger mate - and you seem to have mastered the art! I offer slightly less than scientific wishes that you (and F) can agree on a final solution... of the toileting kind, Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mr T, those said to tell you he'll be right there to teach you how to use a fence like he does. He likes the way you're testing the fireplace and he wishes he had one to test

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our Mum uses woodchips and she used to get the pine scented one's but lately she hasn't been able to find them and is using another woodchip that doesn't smell nice. We aren't too fussy but she says the bathroom where the litter tray is housed smells with this stuff.
    As there are four of us ( after poor Rupert going to the other side) we use a lot and those little bags wouldn't last us long.
    Princess, Willow, Rowan and Mummy Polly.
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are 4 of you guys and one of me - and I am supposed to go outdoors in the day time. Have you seen the weather out there lately? Wet muddy feet are not in my plan for any day of the week. SO I am going through this stuff faster than F had anticipated or planned for. paw smacks Mr T (F says give regards to your huMum and Dad, we read that things are really stressful at the moment, make sure you give them lots of love).

      Delete
  8. Mr Cat and Bruno now have an outside garden in their catio to poop in but before this we had a nice lavender smelling clumping mix, bit more expensive but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tigger maybe F should look for a paper based one. The one I used to use - well not me personally - is a big seller here….pellet like, easy to move around, doesn’t shred or shed, covers the smell really well (that I can vouch for) - just one con…on occasion it might cling to damp paws and find itself outside the tray. Comes in 20kg bags….hefting them out of the boot was good for building muscles

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment