Postcards from London

F was late home on Tuesday.  She is rejoining her workplace choir (she explained) - which I guess means that I will have to tolerate her practice warblings when we are up at the allotment.

It is more rumblings than warblings - she sings in the tenor section.  Can you believe that?  And real tenors can probably hit higher notes than she can; her range really is pathetic.  Given that my hearing is missing a few of the top notes anyway, I will probably have to suffer her entire performance.

Anyway the real subject of this post is that she brought me some postcards because I have never been to London.  If anyone says 'Pussy cat, pussy cat, where have you been?"  I have definitely not been to London to look at any queens.

F had booked a ticket on a late train and being a bit early for that she had meandered to the station (a route from London Bridge to Waterloo) rather than marching as fast as possible totally focused on getting there quickly, and had taken the time to remark a few of the modern buildings that have sprouted on the South Bank in the last couple of decades.

The pink bit is a tiny arc of the London Eye

London Eye and London Bus

Bankside - on Southwark Street

Called the Harlequin Building

Comments

  1. Interesting buildings. I'm totally unfamiliar with London since the late 50s, two brief visits, do this is all brand new!
    Tenors have the same range as sopranos except the register break is at a different pitch. As a soprano I have a lot of difficulty with composers like Purcell who wrote in my range, but the register break formei is right on the most emphasized notes for the tenor voice. Looks good in paper, hell on wheels to sing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. F doesn't know much about singing - she just makes the noises she is instructed to make and then joins them up. It sounds like you have done a lot more and some very challenging singing. F's workplace choir sings church services twice a year and does a public performance of 'pop' music in a public plaza at Canary Wharf in the summer. https://www.guestartists.co.uk/ is the website of their choir master (F advises her workplace choir doesn't rate a mention in his stable of performers.)

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    Very pretty to brighten a winter's night! Were you impressed, Tigger dear? F is clearly keeping herself very busy... As I am sure you do, too, mate. Guarding the home in the absence of your hyoomons, protecting against fox and squrrel and all that...hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While squirrels are a menace Yam-Aunty, foxes have been my friends so I don't need to see them chased off. We haven't had foxes in our yard since Mr B blocked up the Tigger-door in the fence. Quid pro quo I told him - stop me you stop everything else that enjoyed the access. furrings and purrings Mr T

      Delete
  3. That all looks quite colourful. I don't visit the Big Smoke as often as I used to but I do enjoy reading about other people's journeys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big smokes are just a collection of small smokes all pushed together JayCee.

      Delete
  4. I’ll be heading to London this year.
    The long awaited, covid interrupted holiday.
    Don’t want to jinx it. So I’m keeping it all under wraps for now

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh London. We hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. don't fret sweet Tigger, I have never been to London either or any country other than the USA.. butt we can see your postcards and all our friends photos and e-travel anywhere in the world. I have visited London in google maps. I really like that colorful Harlequin Building, have not seen anything like that.
    My dad was a Baptist Preacher, he sang tenor and I sang alto, and the two of us could harmonize on the old hymns pretty good together. I used to do tenor because my voice was so low.. we would like to hear the choir sometime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could visit us on Google maps Sandra-Aunty. Havant. South Downs. Hampshire. xxx Mr T

      Delete
  7. Dick Whittington had a cat and they visited London Tigger. I don't think the streets are paved with gold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The street might not be paved with gold Dave, but there appears to be a lot of money washing around in places.

      Delete
  8. Tigger cant look at the queen now though but he can look at the king perhaps if he wishes, I'm sure he will have something important to tell Charles anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment