Seeds

Angela in Oz posted (possibly somewhat tongue-in-cheek) that some pretty flower seeds had jumped into her shopping trolley and she had to take them home.  She made it sound like a bit of an ‘accident’ (or possibly an ambush).

I’m wondering if the pile-up of seed packets in the corner of our office is also a series of (5, or possibly 6) accidents or ambushes.  Packages seemed to arrive at the door every day last week.  Some even contained roots of stuff. 

The messy stuff

The important stuff - paws shaking with excitement when I took the photo it seems!

F has sorted the seeds into the 6 plots of her vegetable garden rotation, the greenhouse seeds, and flowers for the garden at home.

Five of the roots were rhubarb.  I know all about rhubarb and have posted about it previously (here) and (here).  Another package of roots had something called Yacon and there are now three pots of that on our kitchen windowsill waiting for winter to end.

Rain (lots of it) has temporarily stopped play at the allotment for quite a few weeks now and F is getting twitchy.  Our own backyard is turning into churned mud where all the avian visitors are wandering about pecking at fallen seed and morsels of suet.  You would not have thought a few woodpigeons (about 10 of the darned things) could make such a mess of the lawn.

I think some garden retaining walls are being planned for the area behind our rubbish bins and it will get replanted as the rhubarb patch again (I hope so anyway – as it is one of the sunniest spots in our backyard and I could well spend my summer out there; especially if F puts deep straw around the rhubarb, as before).




Comments

  1. Now, I want to know what to plant to persuade felines not to use my garden for their daily "movements ". What would you suggest, Mr T?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really are naughty things those seeds.
    How exciting for you. Planing your spring gardens.
    Can’t wait to see all the yummy food you grow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela - it's all your fault. You shouldn't have been ambushed....

      Delete
  3. the non gardner in me is shuddering at the amount of work all those packages will take to become food and flowers. I last tasted rubharb when I was 10 years old and never tasted it again. I really should because I might like it. back then I refused to eat tuna fish and now i eat it. when I plant seeds they don't grow, I think they KNOW I don't enjoy doing it. If bob plants things, it is because he loves to and they grow. but now that he is OLDER than dirt, he doesn't plant things. I am rambling. bye for now and I hope you get your sun filled straw covered rubharb to hang out with and that the rain stops so F can work in the allotment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seem to be in the best place for stuff to grow - at least when it is not a drought. You could grow New Zealand spinach - it hangs on a bit like moss roses.

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    I say, that looks like quite the array... and of course the catnip is the most impawtant!!! The rhubarb and that together will create your little bit of heaven on earth, it seems, Tigger mate! Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in trouble for trying to dig up the rhubarb already. My excuse it it was nice soft cultivated soil.

      Delete
  5. We bought our vegetable seeds in Lidl yesterday Tigger. I think they were 79 Cents each.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should have waited. We did get some at Wilko for 75p and got a sale at one supplier at 89p, but F grows a few varieties that don't show up in the budget range (Like her NZ Spinach).

      Delete
  6. That sounds like the best idea for rhubarb I've heard yet. I shudder just thinking about it! Those childhood pies and jams, oh dear, so acid, not my fave. About seeds. Must be the time of year. I will have a couple of containers, and already I'm thinking what to plant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhubarb varieties are getting considerably less acidic than the old 'Victoria' of our youths. Rhubarb cooked with banana, or with sweet cicely is a good way to counter the acidity.

      Delete
  7. Gosh, if Gail had all those seeds, even she might get at least one of them to grow...
    Toodle-oo!
    Nobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobby - growing stuff just eats into time you could be going for walks. Don't even go there.

      Delete
  8. I have many memories of old homes with established rhubarb patches - and frequently a cat asleep beneath them! I hope summer brings you your wish, Tigger :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one activity I won’t be joining in on……I’ll cheer from the side line though. Hopefully the ground will dry out soon so you Tigger and your favourite companion F ( plus Mr B if he wants) can roll out the barrow all the way to the allotment.
    We’re into sharing- when glut times come around our friends and neighbours are desperate to share- so we take advantage of their generosity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We put our gluts in a box at the bottom of the drive and it always goes away. Sometimes we even get thank-you notes.

      Delete
  10. Your summers sound like our former home in Greece - too hot for words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope Tigger is going to help by digging holes in the soil for planting and not once they have been planted. Bruno and Floki have been busy supawvising when we plant tomatoes in the vege garden.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment