Postcard - Oamaru (Steampunk Capital of New Zealand)

Oamaru is the nearest decent sized town to where F grew up; she in South Cznterbury, Oamaru in North Otago, separated by the Waitaki River.  North Otago never felt familiar. Boundaries are strange things. F moved much further south when she left home and Oamaru has always bben a place you blow through. 

She and Mr B stopped briefly on another blow through to get a quick look at its now famous Whitestone precinct (another post). The area is now also known for its steampunk festivals. (Online searches will give you all you ever needed to know about Oamaru steampunk scene but here is a taster from a public park by the harbour.)






















 Steampunk HQ

Comments

  1. I would love it there. My parents saw some steampunk stuff in NZ when they were visiting family a couple of years ago. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the seats and the guy on the wheel.
    So very clever

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a place I would like to visit and wander and snap myself silly. LOVE the train, even the building looks like art. the benches are cool and have a use. not just art. that robot machine gun needs to be shipped to the usa to go with all the machine guns here. it is all quite interesting to me.
    about the river between the two towns. Our house is in Bradenton, My cousins all live in Palmetto, where my mother was born. we are one big town by two names, the Manatee river runs between us. 3 bridges connect us to each other. it sounds like where you are from by your discription

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    Oh what fun! I quite admire the inventive fashion and creative upcycling of junk; I knew quite a few devotees through my Sydney connections. Tigger come look.... Tigs? Nope, deep into his post-lunch slumber just now! I'll share the hugs and whiskeries, with him later. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can imagine that people have a lot of fun with Steampunk and learn things they never expected to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last year when we visited, my son was fascinated with steam punk - I confess that I really don't like it and can see little point in it! But I do love all the lovely old buildings :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been to Oamaru but my sister just bought some units there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment