Postcards from Buller

In Murchison
 On the back it says: no kidding, this is not 'curated'. The collection inside looked as random and 'venerable' as the bits lying around the outside.
Above the Buller River
F and Mr B and my Aunty-T and F's bro walked over this bridge to take photos of water (yes water). They walked back too. A ride back on the zip-line would have cost more than a steak dinner each.
Murchison Earthquake
The postcard tells me that they walked along the fault line. Is that wise? The earth might open up and swallow them.
Flood levels (note the pink ribbon right at the top)
The tree was on ground already at least 5 metres (about 16 feet) above the river, and the floods rose another 2-3 metres above that.
Buller River
There used to be gold mining, and gold extraction all around here. Someone even had a mad plan to divert the river with a tunnel so they could take gold from the river bed.  There IS (was) a tunnel.... (which the earthquake might have scuppered)😼
Buller River

Lower Buller Gorge - overhang 

 
Apparently there are wekas everywhere.

Comments

  1. Hari Om
    I love the Weka walking... and as I don't eat steak dinners, I might have been tempted to spend on the zip line ride. Jus' cos... would you have come with me in your backpack, Tigger??? Tigger...??? Where's he gone........... 🤷 Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never get shots of wekas running.... they are apparently related to road runners. The zip wire wasn't long enough for the price. Tigger? I wouldn't have put it to the test but knowing his penchant for heights, that bit would be a no brainer.

      Delete
  2. My comments still do not seem to be getting through. Trying again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are getting through (or at least this did) and nothing is in spam.

      Delete
  3. That bridge looks scarily high and has a long span - good exercise, though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr B tried to walk over it 'no hands'..... the other humans wobbled it.

      Delete
  4. Adorable chubby Weka, and my first ever viewing of one. I would NOT walk accross that bridge on ON the fault line. yowsa! my what iffer has kicked in high gear just reading about it. Since this post is proof you all survived it, that makes me happy. it is a beautiful place and I would like to wander in all that old rusty stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Australians call these islands the shakey isles. We grow up with the wobbles. In reality I think
      I experienced more shakes in Greece. F

      Delete
  5. Looks like an exciting place, overhangs, fault lines. Very nice to see -- on postcards anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nature is very dramatic in the land where F and Mr B are right now. We think sitting tight in Hampshire is a safer bet Tigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My compatriots are not all welcoming to felines. There is a move to eliminates cats from NZ because of their contribution to decimation of ground-nesting native birds. I, F, am of the view that removing humans would be even more effective.

      Delete
  7. So nice that you're on the west coast right now. My ancestors on the Luff side lived in Buller, many of them are buried at the cemetery. I have a thing about swing bridges, they scare the bejeebers out of me, sadly the weather for the next week isn't very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are headed south next week - Blueskin Bay area.

      Delete
  8. I would of walked as well. Such a pretty view who wouldn’t really.
    I think I remember seeing some of this when I was there many moons ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your comment about the Murchison Earthquake reminded me of my grandfather - he lived through it. He said all the apple trees lay down on the ground and then sat up again (he was on an orchard), and the heaving was so bad he found he couldn't get back to the house to check on the family. Must have been very frightening.
    I like wekas, they are so cheeky :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your grandfather's experience was certainly a scary one. F has seen an earthquake wave roll across her lounge floor but big enough to lay down apple trees must have been massive.

      Delete

Post a Comment