Postcards - Punakaiki

Dear Tigger, 

known in English as the Pancake Rocks, this geological feature (which attracts a lot of tourists), is on the West Coast of the South Island. Your humans spent ages contemplating the forces of ocean on limestone rocks, and just contemplating the dance of the waves crashing into collapsed caverns and canyons through the rocks. Some water is forced up chimneys in the rock and emerges, from the blowholes inland from the cliff edges, as spray. 

Of course they did....my humans can't resist water. The rocks look explorable though, and I bet lots of interesting things live in that undergrowth. 


 



The Pancake Rocks are in Paparoa National Park. 












Comments

  1. Hari OM
    I agree, Tigger, that the rocks look explorable (by cats and other such nimble-footed critters)... however, that drop off into the w.a.t.e.r. looks like high risk to me. Jus' sayin'... hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a lovely path thst even wheelchairs could navigate around the top of most of it. There were lots of warnings thzt only work if you can read English....which the Tigger pretends to be incapable of.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. My humans seemed to think so. I used to watch waves crashing on rocks outside our Piraeus apartment, but I was safe on a balcony there. Xxx Mr T

      Delete
  3. the rocks are ALL spectacular!!!! wow and wow! the videos are fun, love the sound of the water in the last one. Tigger my love, you do not need to go anywhere near those rocks/water but I sure would like to see them with my own eyes.... totally awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think you would indeed love this place. It isn't very big and you could walk around in 10 minutes if you didn't stop to look at stuff. Xxx F

      Delete
  4. I find these views pretty intimidating! Best in pictures for this cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All taken from a very safe path with chest high rock walls to keep the humans in.

      Delete
  5. The power of water. Some beautiful pictures there.
    I can’t resist water either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will you be visiting Giant's Causeway on Tigger's side of the planet while you are there?

      Delete
  6. The Dance Of The Waves would be a great name for a Prog Rock band Tigger. I love that elegaic prose writing/font.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Dave. You may use the name or any variation on it when you form your band.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing rock formation. I've never heard of them. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are heading out there today with my 2 adult children, they have never been there

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment