List-Making and Passwords

Someone dredged up and read our old post from August 2021 about list making.  It made F do two things – send a reminder to the Greek tax accountant; and review the lists she has made lately.

Someone told her that it takes 6 months to settle back into your own culture when you return from working overseas.  OK English is not her own culture but it has been her home for nearly 2 of my lifetimes. 

She thought ‘Rubbish – 6 months?  Really?’

She was wrong.  We have been very unsettled for over 6 months, and hours of hard work and distractions packed into every week haven’t changed a bit that feeling of being on quicksand.

I sense it.  She seems a bit distant a lot of the time, sort of distracted by something in the distance, sort of tired, sort of going through the motions…. “lights on, no one home”.

List making is a false sense that she is in control of all that change. She isn't. No one is. What she can control is how she responds to it.

So respond. Stop making lists and examine yourself woman.

Be present in the moment. 

The trouble is that moments devoted to her job are often filled with nothing but waiting: waiting for an emergency to deal with, waiting for some work to come in.  It is kind of boring and her mind wanders to all the ways she could be better spending that time – creatively, productively, environmentally, enjoying outdoors, time spent with people (especially when we are working from home), or doing some exercise or cooking good meals.

I am good company; she says so, but I don’t share her love of having ideas and making and doing.  She clearly has too much time for having ideas at present.  That is when the list making starts again, and I need to tell her to stop it.  Listing doesn’t actually achieve anything because when ‘school is out’ and she can tear into active stuff, real life demands that other priorities arise, there is a different order to life than you can determine by making a list.  Lists are good for going to the supermarket and there it ends.

F also knows, but doesn’t always work to it, that really successful people list not what they want or need to do, but how they want or need to be, or where they want to be in life and then do what is necessary to get there.

When I ask her about that, F says she wants to be where life has fewer passwords.  Passwords? Whatever does she mean?




Comments

  1. Tell F that just stroking you will bring her bp down and she will feel better. And tell her that I also make lists, well, more notelets to myself of things to remember, they are scattered far and wide in this house, lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can certainly relate to F's passwords comment Mr T. Plus two-factor identification when I have forgotten to bring my 'phone into the office to receive text messages. Grrr...
    The six month thing is quite an optimistic estimate in my view. Moving to a different country, a new house and most particularly retiring from a long working life have each taken a much longer period of adjustment for me. The adjustment period for the last event is still ongoing. I hope I have enough time left!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making lists is satisfying but ultimately pointless. Occasionally, I come across lists one of us made years ago and it's astonishing how little on them has been achieved because other more interesting things happened and needed attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so glad that photos of YOU are on HER LIST! I always want to snuggle with you when I see your photo. I am a list maker, to do lists. If I don't make a list the work doesn't get done. until the past couple of years, i needed no list at all. now, i wake up and think, do a load clothes today, if it is not written down, i go to bed and think it again the next morning. I am thinking F is missing your old home and the long walks with you in donkey and talking to all the people on the way to work or just a walk. different environment, different feel. the 6 months only works if you are happy where you land. I know this from expericene since I have moved a lot in my life, until i married Bob the Rock who once planted never moves

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting musing this morning. Sounds as if F is at a crossroads wrt work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fewer passwords sounds good. Gail once had a colleague - a young man who by any definition (work, family, friendships etc.) is a successful person - who told her he never bothered trying to keep track of passwords, preferring instead just to click the link to reset the password each time he needed to use any particular site. Possibly not a bad strategy!
    We hope F is feeling more settled soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. F resorted to handling the bulk of passwords in that manner a few years ago. It works well for stuff you don't use daily, but for getting into your rail ticket app which has unexpectedly logged you out 5 minutes before your train is due (and you are on the wrong side of the ticket barrier), it is a recipe for stomach ulcers. Xxx F

      Delete
  7. There is always an adjustment time and it varies with everyone.
    You have been very busy and that can sometimes help you to avoid feelings.
    If making lists helps you to organise things in your head I don’t see the harm.
    I’m sure eventually you will find your groove and life will start to sail on an even keel again

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like F needs another trip down under Tigger just to reassure herself she’s in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sadly I can't relate to the lists thing, I've never been one for that except entering appt times and dates in my cellphone calendar, that's about it. Maybe you all need to come back to Aotearoa and be home.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment