Beans

I knew it would happen - I wasn't picking all the runner beans because I wanted to harvest mature beans...


...and of course am not getting fresh new crunchy sweet beans to eat raw each time I go to the allotment.

However there is a great crop of maturing beans, and best of all the Gigantes have been really successful.  Now I just have to wait (impatiently) for them to 'ripen' enough to pick and shell out.

For the uninitiated - Gigantes are huge white (runner) beans that Greeks use to make the BEST baked beans in all the world.  (Although there is a tinned version, everyone's Nan seems to be able to make them at home, and they are a staple in many tavernas, so no sensible Greek ever would buy the tinned version.)  They are meaty and sweet and just the best texture when cooked.  

And even better - they grow and appear to thrive here in UK.

The borlotti were unsuccessful this year (slugs, water-logged poorly prepared soil, lack of sunlight....mea culpa) but I did get the equivalent of my seed back from the few that did make it to the top of the bean fence.  Better luck with them next year. I'll cook and eat these fresh. They make great bean bhajis.

Comments

  1. Now I have to look up bhajis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did, and a tangent happened, as so often, and I'm just finishing o lunch of spicy potatoes with an egg broken in, giant fritter really. Nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the spice opportunity really and because they are fried I can get Mr B to eat them - beans not being his favorite.

      Delete
  3. We grew broad beans this year. P picked our crop yesterday. Three beans... one per pod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thst sounds like my edible lupins. I think i got my seed back.

      Delete
  4. Beans look so attractive, particularly in your first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the giganties look a lot like our lima beans which I love, but i searched and they are similar but it says they are meatier than limas. i just bought dry limas to cook this week. the speckled look like what daddy used to grow but can't remember the name. i never met a bean i did not like so would love to try these

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like broad beans but they are a whole other category of beans really (more like lupins - bitter to my taste), but all other beans peas and lentils are high on my list of favoured foods. Gigantes are definitely my favorite now. Your speckled beans might have been pinto beans.

      Delete
  6. Hari OM
    Seeing the Gigantes I am minded of Butter Beans - closely related? I adore them. Any bean. And now, at nearly bedtime, my mouth is watering!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On related in that they are legumes. Gigantes are a variety of stringy runner beans. If i am right what you and the English call butter beans are Sandra's lima beans. Butter beans to me are the yellow climbing beans my Dad used to grow. Gigantes are much meatier than lima beans (i use lima beans to make succotash).

      Delete
  7. I’ve not made the Greek baked beans for ages.
    Might be just what the doctor ordered
    You’ll be feasting on those all winter long

    ReplyDelete
  8. Green beans are on short supply here this summer. The heatwaves burnt the plants . They're on sale for 4.50-5 euros a kilo.
    K loves the speckled dry beans. There have been a few of them but once again expensive.
    So we eat good old gigantes . Always a good meal summer or winter. Always cooked from scratch. With lots of fresh tomato just now

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment