Because You Asked, Gardener....pickled onion recipe

This is for Gardener (humum of Moki) who asked that I post the pickled onion recipe.

Here's the source - full credit given


And here is the recipe itself.  I put myself (and everyone and animal who enters, or entered, my kitchen) through the tear-jerking small onion peeling. 

Do it holding them under water in the sink....or just chop up big onions like Digby suggests. It saves you having to slice them up later anyway to make your cheese and pickled onion sandwiches work like a sandwich instead of ping pong balls between wafers.

The recipe says brown sugar - I use treacle or molasses if I have it in the cupboard.  2 weeks simply isn't long enough for little round onions to pickle through.  6 weeks is an absolute minimum.  They improve with maturity up to about 18 months.

Comments

  1. Thank you, this is great. I chop onions semi frozen, no tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slicing them makes sense. I make them at Xmas using an Aunt Daisy recipe. She uses honey instead of sugar. It's all good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A PS. I've just realized that there are 2 tbsps of flour. What does the flour do to the end result?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It thickens the pickling juice slightly so that the spices stay in suspension rather than simply settling to the bottom. The pickling brew is like a runny brown sauce, but not as watery as Worcestershire sauce.

      Delete
    2. Sounds even better. I shall keep this recipe

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    My dad was a pickleonioholic and mum used to do lots of them - and beetreet. My mouth waters at the memory, but my body just knows and says NO! Cauliflower, though... capsicums... carrots... what's that? Oh yes, piccalilli! ..mmm...mmm... time for lunch. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. or do what I do and buy them already pickled... not a recipe person, but glad there are many in the world who are, including you. I use molasses and pure maple syrup for sweetners when needed

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely going to try making this.
    Hubby loves pickled onions. How do I keep them safe for six weeks?
    I’ll have to find a good hiding spot or he’ll get into them before time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Put them in more than one jar and tell him they taste much better when matured - and if he does start early he will understand by the time he gets to the well aged ones.

      Delete
  7. You are very welcome. Spread the love of pickled onions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks good - and tastes better, I'm sure. Maybe I will make use of my maslin pan this year . . .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment