Dancing in the Rain

Walking around the block from the office where I work is made less hazardous (in the London traffic sense) by there being a high level public walkway across a busy street, accessed by steps very near to The Monument (to the Great Fire of London), and a route that takes one over a public access terrace of the old Clarkson’s building.

As I walked off some emotions, I discovered groups of teenagers, dressed in hip-hop fashion, practicing dance moves in the drizzle that was gently wetting that broad terrace overlooking the Thames.  The building’s windows that let onto the terrace all have a mirrored finish making it the ideal impromptu (free) studio.

Dancing in the rain on a terrace above the Thames, right beside London Bridge.

View from the terrace....that's Tower Bridge (London Bridge is behind my right shoulder)

You have to admire their creativity, expression, and the athleticism of youth as they interpreted their music (which wasn’t playing loudly) and for a moment I was distracted, happy for them and contented for myself.

It was only after I had returned to the office that I dug up the desire to have approached and said to them – “I am old, a lot less flexible, and a lot more inhibited, but can you teach me something I can take away from here, something to keep in my heart.”

I found myself hearing an internal beat of a TV advert for a brand of fresh chewing gum, that has a middle-aged guy bopping out of a lift and down an escalator much to the bemusement of his colleagues.  Goodness knows what the brand is, but the bop beat I feel.

Maybe they will be there again next week, maybe I will have the courage to ask.

Comments

  1. Hari Om
    Oh I hope so! Meanwhile, let the beat tick on internally... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gently gently. A life well lived can be celebrated in many ways.

      Delete
  2. Young people dancing in the rain. What a wonderful scene to gladden the heart. A reminder that Life is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is indeed good. Glimmers are everywhere

      Delete
  3. Add a little song here and there and you’ll be singing and dancing aka Gene Kelly in no time. What is it they say about the benefit of music in the healing process? And the beat goes on….

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the things I loved about living and working in London was that one was never far from some diverting and often inspiring activity on the streets. Sadly I can't say the same for Aberdeen.
    Cheers! Gail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aberdeen has other attractions - inspiring countryside

      Delete
  5. I love percussion and always hear the BEAT not the words. reading this I could see what you saw and fee l what you felt.. my eyes teared up. I found orbit and extra both are what you described.
    link https://youtu.be/4dRcUhrLTYI and this one is the best https://youtu.be/AFP5qxGYhcw
    i have watched both twice already... i get a portion of my daily excercise by bopping to the beat of commercials and other songs in my playlist on youtube.. if you see them again, stop and ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one. Bet you never knew chewing gum could do that...

      Delete
  6. Great picture you conjured up here! Dancing in the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A sight to gladden the heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or raise a laugh if you saw me doing it🤣

      Delete
  8. Dancing of any form is good for the soul. A lot of my healing was done through learning to dance. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe i should consider joining a 'side'. It might be more suitable than hip hopping.

      Delete
  9. I'm not one to wallow. I can still see a light when it shines on me. There are low patches but i try to ensure they don't join up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Music is great for the soul and for a Broken heart.
    I can’t Believe how close to you I was staying. Too bad you were in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like seeing the young ones dancing, it's like their letting their inhibitions go.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment