Doors close, doors open.

Lingering on grief is not part of my plan for remembering Mr T, but I have had to process a chest compressing weight of churning emotions.  You have all been there; my experience is neither special nor unique

A big part of what I feel is a heavy guilt.  I never for a second wished Tigger away.  All I ever wished for him was that when his time came it would be without a long slow decline, and without suffering.  Part of the guilt is that he may indeed have been suffering – he never let us know, or we were not paying the right kind of attention never having developed the language between us for that. The other part of the guilt is that a door having closed on that chapter of our lives shared with Tigger, doors are opening all around me and I am not so blinded by grief that I can’t see them.  Some were already open before he left us, and it is easy to wonder when you have imbued your fur friend with as much anthropomorphic qualities as I did, that he knew and was clearing the way for us.

Of course he didn’t.  He stayed as long as he could and went when he needed to, but I had made a point of telling him just before the last breath that if he was ever in a place where his spirit energy could ‘look down’ on us, or seek to wrap itself around us, that we would not always be in this place, and he might have to look for us in parts foreign again.

I will try to tell myself that what he said in return was "you still have life, go out and live it - like I embraced the move to Greece and all the changes that wrought in my life, like the interest I showed in nearly everything that whizzed past my windows - whether the windows were moving or static - scenes from the balcony, views from the Donkey, the van and trains and ferries...I was piqued by all of it.  So go on...be piqued, slope your ears forward, widen your eyes, take it all in, examine, absorb, grow, think, share, and above all trust.  Trust too that it will all be alright in the end."

Door close, doors open.

He mastered lifts, I wonder what he would have made of revolving doors.  I don't recall ever having shared one with him.

Cupboard doors

Moving floors

Hold them close, show them your love, never betray their trust.

(A little note here that Mr T was at the V-E-T on Thursday for what looked like an allergic reaction and although the vet detected a lump in his tummy by pressing and feeling, he never made a noise. Both the vet and Mr B believed it wasn't causing pain and he was booked for a scan the next Wednesday. That evening I noticed that he was walking carefully like cats walk when they are stretching themselves, and he moved with more caution over Friday and Saturday but was still going up and downstairs, out inspecting the garden, jumped onto the bed etc. Unbelievable - I expect I didn't see properly because I didn't want to imagine....On Sunday he left us.)

And if you have read this far I want thank every human and animal who sent us a message of condolence and support.  It was truly humbling.  I would have liked to thank you all personally with comments to your blogs etc but you don't all blog and that makes it even more precious that you took the time to send your kind messages.

In a blog we follow, Angus wrote: "Kindness is not often reported on but when you look for it you find it's not only alive but kicking."

You have all been so kind.

Comments

  1. A beautifully written post that expressed a gentle kind of grief and regret.
    I also follow Angus' blog and was saddened by the loss of his lovely Sophie.
    We have all experienced loss at some time and we all feel it differently I suppose. It helps to see how others deal with theirs.
    Looking forward to reading about your new doors x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JayCee. Angus' reporting on their loss helped me to prepare. I could never have thanked him enough for the way that he shared that and what he was prepared to share in the process.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    "Pawfect" reflection, F. Just right. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have described exactly how i felt when Big Boy left us. Hindsight is always 20/20, for sure and i did the guilt thing also, not realizing that the flat on the floor sleeping was his heart, or that the cute thing he did when we walked the last few days, of putting his front end down on the grass, like he was playing, but he was saying i can't walk anymore. the compressed chest and emotions feeling. most of us have been there too and know how much a kind word helps. My heart still beats with yours on the ache that is left behind. I am waiting to see which new doors will open for you. Hugs and thanks for putting my feelings in your words.6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra your clear and apparent love and respect for all the animals that have shared your life shines through in your messages and has been a great support throughout this time. Keep being you - those animals to whom you give a loving 'retirement' possibly contribute to keeping you younger than your peers.

      Delete
  4. That guilt is so common. I had that with one of my cats who was so clever to conceal her pain. As soon as we found out, we said goodbye. But I still feel I should have known. All you can conclude is that you did your best. Tigger had a great life with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also feel relief that I didn't have to 'play God' with his life. He went so fast it took the decision out of my hands and I will be eternally grateful to him for that - loyal to the end, 'I won't ask you to make that decision for me'. I have his last artwork on the desk beside me. I am trying to decide how to stabilize the sculpted corrugated cardboard (or whether in fact I will need to) to preserve the 3D-ness before framing it in a lightbox. Any ideas?

      Delete
    2. Just frame it quick before humidity gets to work on it, is my suggestion.

      Delete
  5. Inevitably I always felt guilt when one of my kitties died. How could I not have seen it coming? The thing is that cats are masters of disguise. They consistently hide illness and pain until the last possible moment to keep safe from predators. Be kind to yourself. Tigger was doing what cats do. He would most surely want you to go on with adventures and will always be with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left him alone just before the end, aware that cats apparently prefer to be alone/hidden. Who knows what they prefer? We infer from their conduct, from their choices - if free to make them. Let's face it, none of us will cross that bridge holding the hands of those who will stay behind. It is a journey we make alone regardless of how many are in attendance as we set off.

      Delete
    2. We are all alone at the end. If only our cats could speak...or we could hear what they are saying.

      Delete
  6. I too have found that, no matter how well you know your pet and how much you love them, the extent to which they are in pain can be hard to read. I will never know whether I timed Bertie's euthanasia too late, too soon or at the right time, but I do know I did my best within my inevitably limited knowledge, and although the circumstances with dear Tigger were different I am quite sure the same applies for you.
    Do I take it from this post that another move to foreign parts is being considered?
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had only just started following you a few weeks before Bertie's last journey and I really felt for you then. I had that in mind (and the recent blog share by 'Angus' of their last days with Sophie) when I exchanged emails with Yam-Aunty about how one makes that decision. Tigger took it out of my hands, for which I will ever be grateful even if I feel I should have been able to do as we would for humans: 'make them comfortable', provide pain relief. I had watched my father pass in exactly the same manner as Mr T, but knew that Dad had morphia on his side.
      Move? It will be blogged about soon enough.

      Delete
  7. Another wonderful, heartfelt post, expressing what all of us have felt and worried over with the inevitable and far too soon passing of our beloved pets. Tigger will always be with you, memories of his unique character brightening your days after the first heavy ache has eased. Take care. You were his loving mum and he repaid you in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Losing my cats has never got any easier, but the pain has always been outweighed by the joy they've brought me.xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes you're right, important thoughts too that we've all felt. I've had so many cats over the years and it's so hard saying goodbye to them but in the end all that matters is that we've given them a good life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Be kind to yourself. That guilt is normal. We don’t understand our fur babies. And they usually don’t show signs until it’s too late. I had the same experience with two dogs. That guilt tears at your heart and soul and that doesn’t really accomplish anything.
    Know this. You loved him with all your heart while he was here, and you will love him until you meet again at the rainbow bridge. I truly believe we all meet up again

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just popping in to (hopefully the signal will play nicely and allow me to) to say - well to repeat what all the others have said….one never knows when the time is right and Tigger took that decision right out of your hands. Independent to the end!
    Maybe you will now get the chance to plant that tree you spoke about

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment