Flat Earth Society

 Saturday's cycle group outing was advertised as a meeting of the Flat Earth Society.  

Planned rides are posted on the club's website with a rating A -D (where A is long, fast steep and only for tough people and masochists, B is hilly, 50 or so miles, moderately paced,  C has a few mild slopes, is 35-45 miles and probably won't exceed 15 mph except downhill. D is flat, short, slow - what one of my riding accomplices refers to as a Granny Ride.)

G (ride leader) proclaimed this to be an E rated ride.

Given that G (now in his 80s) was a competitive cyclist in younger years and his normal offerings are B.... 

Havant to Tangmere is indeed fairly flat and level, even if you do it all by the back lanes of East Hampshire and West Sussex, but unbeknownst to me, E seemed to mean this is some kind of pursuit race! G does have a very dry humour (and a strong Yorkshire accent). We all know his rides, even the flat ones,  are faster than the average, and he accepts a lot of ribbing about his enthusiasm for a challenge, but his knowledge of the byways (and cafes) within 100 miles of Emsworth is encyclopedic, and his rides are usually very well supported.

Shock horror then when he missed a turn on the way back and admitted he was lost in a part built new housing estate where only months ago there had been fields and hedgerows.

Then the rain started.

Hey ho...the ride out had been a pleasant spin through mainly rural idyll, berried hedgerows, sweet smell of silage, pink purple knapweed, lacy cream wild carrot flowers, lazy streams curling through water meadows and the 'romance' of country tracks with names like Sheepwash Lane or Fordwater Road.

By contrast, at one stage, as we were bowling along the road parallel to the Lavant Straight at Goodwood motor racing circuit, the sound of racing trials of some kind yeowled past us from the other side of the separating embankment.

Tangmere has been a military air base in times past. Today there is a cafe (of course, cafe being the objective of any ride out), and a museum of military aviation.

The cakes are good.

Photography was limited to the cafe stop so here, by way of a postcard...




Military hardware troubles my mind. I don't associate fighting with peace, but that is a whole other series of musings that I will cogitate on a while before commiting them to print.


Comments

  1. Ooh memories. When we lived down there in the 1980s P used to like to visit "Tangers" as he is fascinated by military aircraft of the WWII era.
    I passed by daily on my drive to work in Chichester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You worked in Chi? Now there is an interesting small city. You probably wouldn't recognize the surrounding countryside now....there has been so much new building.

      Delete
  2. I thought this post was going to be about something entirely different. Lol
    I totally get what you mean about military hardware. Consider this though. Where would the world be now if we didn’t have it and hitler had won the war.
    I try to focus on that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never learn any lessons though do we? As humans i mean....for example did no one see Putin and Ukraine coming? I get that fighting is about protecting resources (land, food sources, energy reserves, way of life, language, cultural and religious values etc) but peace? I guess it is shorthand for 'fighting for peaceful enjoyment of what we consider to be ours'. All species compete to some extent, but none build the kinds of tools we do to ensure destruction each other and of the very resources we are fighting over.

      Delete
  3. The Tangmere Museum is interesting for the human stories. Whenever I blog about anything war related I never say I enjoyed it. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I must go back and spend time in the museum. We were just there for the cafe on Saturday.

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    oooooooooooohhhh a Harrier jump-jet.... It was those I wanted to fly when I applied for the airforce from school... before they told me I wasn't the right dimensions and perhaps the secretearial corp was more my speed. )(£$(&%£"$"(&£*(*($£&(*&%&^$*($()£*$*"^ I love the technology and design - but yeah, the purose and application poses problems.

    So, a thirty mile round trip - at jet speed then??? Glad you had a dry day for it. No the case up this end! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good ride out with plenty of laughs. Return trip took us through the middle of Chichester.

      Delete
  5. since the beginning of time, military hardware has been the keeper of peace. Humans are the ones who do not want to live at peace, from religion to emperors, someone always brings out the military hardware.
    I had to giggle while reading from A to D and then an E... I could ride none of these or walk them either. That said, it sounds like real fun and I would if I could.... especially the CAFE part HA HA.. maybe I could drive a tiny car and follow behind you and your friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could follow in a tiny car. One elderly chap who used to ride with us had an electric tricycle. He was still riding out at 90 years old.

      Delete
  6. I am not a cyclist, clearly. Amazed that people do this on purpose, not in an emergency, to bring the serum! But you seem to have had a good time, so go you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have always cycled for personal transport. Took up social cycling about 6 years ago for fitness and social contact znd surprised myself seeing parts of my locale i never knew existed - roads I would never have driven by car because they are not direct routes to anywhere I would go. A countryside of beauty.

      Delete
  7. I hope you got home reasonably dry and not too exhausted. Getting lost is exhausting, I think, particularly when you're with someone you thought knew the way;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't cold and water evaporates. We weren't lost so much as on a different road home to the one intended. Just an excuse to tease G even more. He's got broad shoulders, he can handle it.

      Delete
  8. You can trust any cycling group to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of any cafes within a day's ride of the starting point. There is a reason why my Thursday morning cycling companions organise ourselves (remarkably efficiently) via a WhatsApp group titled 'Scones R Us'. And lest anyone think this indicates that us 'auld wifies', average age 65, take things gently I would like to point out that one of our number has just returned from a tour in Ladakh which included a ride over 17982ft high pass!
    Happy cycling!
    Gail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pass that high would have me gasping - I'm such a sea level person. Mind you a gradual build-up to altitude might make it do-able. Average age in our group is probably top half of the 70s! There was one couple who celebrated their combined 180th birthday a couple of years back,

      Delete

Post a Comment