Positive

Glimmers  - ArilX pointed out a name ( read here ) for 'micro-moments of happiness'.

Glimmers are the opposite to 'triggers' - those things that set us off on some spiral of negativity. Funny how positivity doesn't seem to spiral like that and needs a steady flow of reinforcement to keep it afloat.

I have something to call it now,  but I reckon I've always been receptive to 'glimmers'.  Born that way.   Got lucky in life's lottery.

Really simple things make me happy. Colour, contrast, shapes, movements, warmth, coolness, breezes, rain, silk, fur, smell of hessian, rustling leaves, glimpse of a fox, light reflected off water... a thousand things every day, even in my most exhausted days (and there seems to have been a few of those lately).

Mr B has 3 daughters all plagued by (and being treated for) anxiety issues to greater and lesser degrees.  The concept of 'triggers' was introduced to me early in the journey shared with them.  I have tried to listen and understand, but I understand only at an intellectual level.  It is hard to 'feel' or identify with the depths of despair that their fears drive them to, or to comprehend how the negativity feeds itself. I'm not wired that way.

He might not have understood that he was doing it but my father was good at seeing and pointing out life's glimmers, so what I seem to have been born with got reinforced with plenty of practice.  Even as we were slaving away grubbing out those noxious Nodding Thistles, we could examine and appreciate the beauty and elegance of their flower type. ('Noxious weed' is a regulatory term in NZ - introduced plant species that have a way of taking over if you let them and anything declared 'noxious' becomes the subject of an active control and eradication program.  Noxious status has never been applied to the all consuming effects of the expanding human population....)

Mum was more stoic: clench the jaw and march on without too much stopping to smell the flowers.  I came to suspect (in her late years) that there had been violence in her upbringing.  She never said it directly but mentioned in one of our last conversations a vow her brother made about bringing up his own children, and it made me look at her childhood photos (of which there are precious few) and see, and possibly better understand, a cowered child. She grew flowers to make her life more positive; she loved tagetes, tiny flowered cushion chrysanthemums, and nepeta especially.

Identifying glimmers must be a tool in the arsenal of life resources and one that I have been truly fortunate to have been gifted. 

I can't help wondering, however, the extent to which a fortunate life has made it easy to be that way, or whether being that way has made my life feel blessed.  Either way, even the crap things (and there is crap, plenty of it, but it's good for gardens) are opportunities....

Mind you, I am struggling to see the bright side of insect bite season.... 


This caught my attention at the base of a tree across the road from home.  Is that not a very cool fungus?  It made me want to build a 'fairy door' into the base of a pile of rotting stumps at the back of our garden; something to intrigue the grandchildren, and make them look around.  A look online for inspiration revealed 100's of factory job fairy doors for sale.  No way José.  This one has to be unique, built by the resident fairy out of the materials to hand.  Watch this space as they say.

Comments

  1. Hari OM
    Oh yes, a fairy door is just the thing to open up potential glimmers!!! What a lovely concept... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely better to be a glimmer than a trigger. My mother was somewhat volatile and I developed into an anxious child and adult. Hard to shake off sometimes but I'm getting there!
    Can't wait to see your fairy door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too was blessed with a father who was receptive to 'glimmers'. Quite literally in fact. I can still hear him saying, as we set out on a Peak District hike on yet another wet Bank Holiday Monday, "I'm sure it's going to clear up, I can see a glimmer of blue sky over there"!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting that until recently I always thought of triggers as spring boards to great new ideas for art. Now I see to some people they're more like trap doors. A glimmer of an idea is the step before the trigger. But that's me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way your mind seems to be casting about to draw ideas together. I assume that your blog is only a tiny glimpse at what brews away in your inspiration zone every day.

      Delete
  5. Oh, yes, glimmers are so important in life.
    There's a fairy garden in the woods where we walk and there are so many things left there by children - glittery things, drawings, hearts, stars. all sorts. It brings a smile to everyone's face - and there's a fairy door, too. I look forward to seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That’s a beautiful attitude to have. I love the word glimmers. I’ll try to look for them
    My daughter would often build fairy houses when she was little. I wish I had taken pictures of them. As mobile camera phones were not invented, I hardly ever thought to run inside and find the camera
    It’s a pity. Some of them were brilliant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need her inspiration. I lay awzke thinking about materials and design last night.

      Delete
  7. I can't wait to see the fairy door your fairy builds. I like the word glimmers. it is perfect for the small moments we feel/see. I can attest to the fact that dogs and cats and wild critters cause glimmer moments. I am thinking your body is tired because your Tigger Therapy Glimmers are missing from your life. I get glimmers many times a day just looking at my sleeping Beau. I even get Glimmers seeing dogs/cats/cows on blogs and in person. my most fun glimmer lately was having Winston the mastiff sit on my lap. Flowers doe it, water views do it, also saving bugs from the pool, talking to the lizard on the fence. I do struggle with bouts of anxiety since I inherited daddy's paranoia. but mothers glimmers are also in me. I can attest to the fact that people who are postive can not help people who are not. it is the way we are. my camera lens helps me find glimmers, sometimes i call them POO.. perfectly ordianary objects

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fairy door! That should have had a glimmer warning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment