Repost - The Cat Who Came in From the Cold

 Repost - from 29 July 2021

One of the earliest photos F ever took of me - possibly 2008 (Southampton)

I sat at the top of their garden.
Two humans, but only one was there every day.
No cats.
No dogs.
Two motorbikes.

He put out some catfood.
She didn't want a cat.
That didn't last long.

It was Christmas day when I decided to stay indoors.  I had a choice: in with the door closed, or out with the door closed - either way the door was going to be closed.  
She's commanding like that.
So it was in.

I hid behind the long curtains in the lounge.
Red curtains.

They made me 'go home' at night when they went to bed.
I slept under the cloche over the rhubarb.  She had put deep straw around the rhubarb.
It was almost bearable when it snowed.
They had a ladder leaning on the fence and I climbed it to bang on their kitchen window when they got up in the morning.

She followed me one night.
And sat with all the local cats under the big tree where we gathered and looked at one another.in silence.

My first night indoors I spent sitting on a hard chair beside their bed.
I was a bit nervous.
On guard - like under the tree.

That was then.  We lived in Southampton then.
It's my bed now. 
That's the deal we negotiated in the end when I agreed to move to Havant with them (they let me approve the house and garden before we moved).
Now everything is mine, 
And there is no more sleeping in the snow.

Comments

  1. You were like Paddington Bear Tigger. Adopted by a kind family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. R here, loved reading about the early days after Tigger adopted you! [Ps, look at that laptop! that takes me back!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    Oh, Angel Tigger - what a wonderfurs memory! I'm so glad you found each other... hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a wonderful Tigger tale of how he crept into your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It always has to be on the cat's terms and the trust has to be earned. I'm glad Tigger decided to come in out of the cold. It's a hard life being a homeless animal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a handsome fella you were Mr T. Look at those beautiful collar markings, they stayed with you right to the end. There’s no mistaking it, you were love wrapped up in a fur coat- how could they say no. It’s good to hear they (she??) changed her mind

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am happy to read this, adopt cats, especially feral or just lost cats, dogs too. Jake was our dog from the streets, all of my pets since I got stickybaby when I was 8 years old have been rescues, either from the outside strays or from county shelters. good job F. we miss you and I am so happy you had such a wonderful life and shared it with us

    ReplyDelete
  8. The wonderful thing about Tiggers
    Is Tiggers are wonderful things
    Their tops are made out of rubber
    Their bottoms are made out of springs
    They’re bouncy trouncy flouncy pouncy
    Fun fun fun fun fun
    The most wonderful thing about Tiggers
    Is I’m the only one - I’m the only one

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a token resistance from the female human! Easily overcome by an astute cat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely adoption story, and so beautifully put.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well tigger definitely knew you needed a guardian cat. He was persistent and not only stole your bed but your heart too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heart first. I always knew he would and our life style at the time didn't lend itself to having a furry housemate. He looked so well kept it was hard to believe he had no home to go to. No one came looking for him. No signs up around the neighbourhood. He was getting food somewhere.

      Delete
  12. awww I didn't know Tigger was a stray, I'm so glad you adopted him, he was a real sweetie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment