Fairy House


Inspired by this, spotted a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned I would build a fairy house to hide in one of the slash piles up the back of the garden.  Slash piles are part of the 'wilderness zone' that is more contrived than wild but is aimed at supporting as much wildlife as a small garden can handle.

The process started by stripping some bark off a log. It came off in two large pieces so my design went rather more mansion than the originally intended small cottage.

Holes in the bark suggested windows. A small collection of broken glass and shells; there is always junk (treasure) lying about my gardens, a plain marble in a small knot hole, snail shell door handle, a bit of sea glass from a nearby beach for a window in the door.....

It eventually got cobbled together, mounted on a frame to hold it up, installed - first with a mossy board roof, and later 'thatched' with some hay from the heath. 


What these photos don't show is that I've started work on a small 'garden' with more shells, interesting flints with holes (fairy hag stones),  a tiny slate path....
It will be just my luck the local cats knock it all to pieces negotiating the hole in the fence above the slash pile it rests under, before the grandchildren 'discover' it.

Maybe I will follow up with the originally intended cottage or two, a transformed old boot and a couple of converted flower pots to create a village hidden about the 'wild zone'..... 


Comments

  1. That looks fantastic.
    What a wonderful idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have room for a couple of fairy doors. I took inspiration from maryinthefairyland on instathingie.

      Delete
  2. Any tenants yet? I could send you some Poteen drinking Leprechauns?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leery leprechauns? They won't find much poteen this side of the water, but they are welcome along with all the other wild and wonderful if they have outstayed their welcome at yours.

      Delete
  3. Hari Om
    Oh my... never mind the grandsprogs, anyone would delight at discovery of this magic! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It needs a bit more 'mystery', some disguise. It is all a bit new and obvious at the moment.

      Delete
  4. Children adore "finding" things like this in a garden. I think it is pretty cool what you have done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Originally it was just going to be a door - like a hobbit door (but smaller). There is a big knot hole on our tree out the front that might get a door. I couls start a theme (next there will be fishing gnomes and concrete rabbits.... NOT).

      Delete
  5. I love it love it love it!!!! really I do. the small shutters, the doorknob, the glass. it is priceless. I can't wait to see the boot. Now if you look at one of the photos that shows the entire finished house, it looks like it is Winking. did I say I love it???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that winking thing too! Something to do with tge wonky angle of the eyelid.

      Delete
  6. Your imagination is limitless. The fairy house is delightful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is so wonderfully creative. We hope the local cat population respects your fine work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment