Cyclamens - and very late by nature

I associate them with potted gifts to Mums on Mother's Day (NZ), and latterly with the undergrowth in olive groves.

My mother always used to plants hers out (when they were done indoors) in the shaded garden under the water tank stand.  There were one or two in my English garden when we moved here in 2009 and I assumed a similar origin - some long forgotten gift.
When We got back from Greece it was to find that they seem to have 'seeded' and now we have them on the front garden embankments, in dense clumps under the flowering apple tree and I have even seen the pink variety flowering on untended roadsides around here.  
Is that more evidence of climate change?



 

Comments

  1. They're beautiful. Especially at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cyclamens. They are such pretty, dainty flowers and I like the ones with variegated leaves. We have some growing in a bed in the front garden. They come up reliably, year after year, but don't seem to be multiplying - thriving on neglect, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're lovely. Hard to keep in a heated house, because their mountain origins like cool, especially at night. I did manage with one who flourished in an unheated front porch, where we could see her through the window.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cyclamen are popping up all over the place now. So glad you can enjoy them at home.
    Sounds like a sign of climate change. It's still warm and a bit damp here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They’re so pretty
    I don’t think they would do well here out in the open. With the reqlly hot winds we get in summer even if they were in the shade they wouldn’t survive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cyclamens are lovely. We have a deep purply one that has been in the same pot for years. It now has a huge corm and heaps of flowers, but I have never found any seedlings from it. Enjoy them :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. two houses over from ours, they are in the grass in the front yard of a house. there are 3 patches of them, they just appeared there like these did. a few here, a few there. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must really have green fingers, I can grow most things but not these. btw I planted 3 catnip plants in the front garden around the roses a few weeks ago and the cats still haven't noticed them hehe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment