Flash Bang

Like Piraeus, Singapore seems to get a generous share of electrical storms. 

Here they have lightening warning lights set up in parks and marinas (that's where we were when they were pointed out to me); yellow/orange flashing lights that rotate around a horizontal axis.  When these things start flashing you are supposed to run for approved cover.

Trees are not approved cover (even this stupid foreigner knows that). Along the East Coast Park (where we walked two weekends ago) all the little picnic shelter things have lightening conductors on them.  To be honest I'm not sure I'd want to be under one when it did take a direct hit, but I guess it's an improvement on your chances of survival (if the gods really do have you on their hit list) over being out in the open.

From the elevated (floor to ceiling)  window of my digs, I have watched a few electrical displays sweep across north and east Singapore.  The rain that usually accompanies such performances can be very localized - brief but intense. Umbrellas pop open. In the circumstances I'm not sure I would want to present a metal point to an angry (and highly charged) sky, but I guess the chances are low and staying dry is a higher priority.

Let's face it, when you number is up......

Trust me, the sky was a lot blacker than it came out in this photo.

Mr T loved electrical storms. He would have thrived on the vista they present to this window.

Comments

  1. We used to get great storms. But really haven’t in years. I do love a great light show

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Who needs fireworks, right? YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have described exactly what we have here in Florida. but no warning thingys. we have not had our electrical storms, for about 5 years, one or two per year and we always had one a day and sometimes more. that is a wonderful view out your window. I wish Tigger could be there and see it with you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Electrifying! Must be an invigorating light show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr T was a remarkable character. I don't quite understand the lightning warning lights. Presumably there's some forecasting of predicted lightning. I am a bear of little brain . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you are probably right about prediction but lightening was already punging about when the lights were pointed out to me. The lights are just part of the overall programming - Singaporeans believe their government keeps them safe. Like a benign master it always has their safety at the forefront of its considerations.

      Delete
  6. Those afternoon storms have a way of creeping up slowly then developing into quite a free for all - for just a wee while .
    We lived in Penang prior to moving south and It was fun watching locals cycling in the rain their macs on back to front, covering their fronts as they battled the wind and rain. Our amah always kept a spare set of clothes here for the days she might get a tad wet. Wet ones were washed and dried then ironed ready to go in the cupboard as spares

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that. It's like someone suddenly empties a bucket on you.

      Delete
  7. I hate lightning. I once nearly got struck by it when I was coarse fishing and I was holding a carbon fibre rod at the time. I like watching flash lightning in the distance and far far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your time wasn't up but maybe the gods have a sense of humour. I'm glad I was nowhere near that. I have heard it makes the air smell strange - did you notice that?

      Delete
  8. When the sky is dark the rest of the colours can be dramatic and breathtaking

    ReplyDelete
  9. When living in Oklahoma I used to enjoy swimming in the apartment complex's pool while watching dramatic displays of lightening illuminating the skies in the distance. I was not quite so relaxed when the storms moved closer...
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pool here is closed the second bad weather looms into view. I can imagine the distances you are talking about in Oklahoma however being a rsther more distant view - like watching wildfire across the plains in Aus.

      Delete
  10. I love a good storm, we get some good ones on the west coast.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment