Eclectic

Sunday mix - an eclectic collection of images starting with Pau buns (of Bao buns in some transliterations).  About once a week they appear on the breakfast buffet here.  I 'braved up' and tried one. I have no idea what they use to make them green, but have seen similarly green bread rolls in a corner shop here (tan on top like bread but evidence of the green showing where they are torn apart).  These ones had some kind of green jam inside.  Indeterminate flavour.  The texture of the dough was a bit over refined and quite gluey.  Overall inoffensive, but as breakfast goes I find granola/mueslei more interesting.


This picture is for Boud who asked about plantains.  They are most like the chunky bananas on the bottom left. Unfortunately I didn't put an example of the ubiquitous Cavendish banana in here (the one most grown and transported around the world and sold in supermarkets everywhere) for size shape comparison, but it would be about the length of those biggest ones - less fat.  The little ones are about as round as Cavendish, but altogether more tasty.  I have eaten a few dozen now - in the interests of reporting you understand - and have finally decided to describe the flavour as fresh banana dipped in apple juice.  Best bananas I have ever tasted.
 
Janice mentioned Meccano in a recent blog post and the very next day I was fighting my way along Orchard Road and noticed a shop window display with Meccano creations holding out the (inordinately expensive) handbags. (Rubbish photo behind glass).

And Lynda - chokos - You mentioned having seen them years ago in NZ - I reckon you could grow these on Poros.  I saw them growing in Dubrovnik last year.  They are a vine that had been trained up over a frame and provided delightful shade.  My aunt (in NZ) always used to steam chokos but I have discovered that you can eat them raw.  They are the texture of a wood cucumber and have a mild flavour not unlike cucumber but with the merest hint of something floral.  Very nice, very refreshing.

Lizard, 21 floors up, on the outside of the glass fence... reflected.


Another breakfast buffet photo - we are approaching Deepavali and I wonder if this is related.  The round things look like truffles but have the texture of something 'meaty' coated in coconut, and when bitten into have a liquid centre. I couldn't identify any particular flavour and the unsettling texture made me wonder if I could describe them as eyeballs leftover from the Halloween party and coated in coconut to make them do an other turn.  Unkind.  Just disconcertingly unexpected.

A bike stand turned up outside out hotel apartments this week.  I must ask what the deal is - maybe I can go on Sunday rides.

Comments

  1. Yes, those are the deals I've seen in the Asian store, plantains, I mean. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow colourful food.
    It all looks lovely. Thank you for describing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a while since I saw a bicycle with any kind of skirt guard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😁 you haven't seen my shopping bike. Do you recall those that had the 1/4 circle canvas cover on the back wheel to stop things getting caught in spokes?

      Delete
  4. Hari Om
    Those things on the buffet are not Indian... more the sort of thing found in Chinese stores and probably lots of different bean paste used, which could be described as you have here. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever it was, it was unpleasant. I didn't try the stripey stuff - in nature those colours would be a 'don't eat me' warning sign.

      Delete
  5. Bannanas have been my favorite food since I could stand and walk and our home was never without them since they ahave always been the cheapest. even now they are the cheapest fruit there is. I ca't eat them now, IBS reason. they say they are great for IBS but not mine. all this fruit looks good to me. no eyeballs though. hope you can find a bike to ride.
    waiting to see the Jungle pics and miami did have one Saltie croc show up on their each.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A most interesting selection. I like the sound of the plantains and the chokos. The bikes look quite heavy but might be fun for a ride out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't be heavier than my old Pashley shopping bike

      Delete
  7. Stunning photos - especially Super Lizard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have loved lizards since I was the wobbliest of toddlers. They have always made me happy to see them.

      Delete
  8. The rainbow blocks look rather like the bar of handmade soap my sister in law bought me for Christmas last year. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought so too. It definitely did not look edible.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment