#WFH

2020 and COVID changed the places so many of us work. Up until then it was 5 days a week commuting to a place of work for so much of the population.  Pre my move to Greece, that was easy for me as I lived weekdays in London and cycled 7km each way to and from our office each day.  What I got out of that was daily contact with colleagues, some of whom do the work that I do (and could be used as a sounding board in discussion about strategy etc), and some of whom do complementary work - in finance and accounting, credit control, regulatory compliance, underwriting, and actuarial expertise.  Together we are like the cogs of a clock - all different but designed to work together to smoothly produce something regular, reliable, consistent - a service to our customers (those whom we insure).

Face to face-ness is the oil in the mechanism.

Of course the measurable part of what we do can be assessed in various metrics based on our claim database (files opened, files closed, tasks completed, payments made, securities issued/cancelled, etc etc etc) and it is clear that as 'digital' workers we can do our jobs anywhere we can make an internet connection.  The move to working from home was relatively easy for our business to pull off when lockdowns hit, as it had already been tested in our Business Continuity Plan (which was probably originally designed to respond to a bombing or similar in London - our office is right on one end of the iconic London Bridge).

When plague response subsided and the realization had sunk in that business had continued successfully - possibly even more productively (by those metrics mentioned above) than when conducted in the office, the decision was made that we could work 3 days per week in the office (two 'core' days which were designated to be Tuesday and Thursday, and any other day of the individual's choice), and two days per week from home.

Back in UK from 2022, I chose Friday as my 3rd office day (there are Pilates and Yoga classes after work at my local gym that I can attend on Mondays and Wednesdays if I am not engaged in my 2.5hour each way commute).  Commuting is expensive so having a couple of days a week at home is a big saving for many people.  #WFH also gives some families the means to share out school runs, and nursery pick-ups, achieve various housework objectives (freeing up weekends), and allows for a bit more family (or pet) time on those days. 

Unfortunately there is virtually no one else in our office on Friday- the three of us who are don't even move around enough to keep the lights on! (but we do share a private joke about that).  Across London that pattern is repeated and businesses who relied on selling lunch to office workers often don't even open on Fridays now.  I guess jobs have been lost as a result.

#WFH also comes at other cost - for some there is conflict for space at home, competing noise, and/or a feeling of isolation - of having lost something of the oil in the mechanism.  I miss the opportunities to participate in the chance discussions that arise out of unusual incidents, the learning by osmosis, and in particular the interaction with the other parts that make the whole in our service industry.  Sure, I can email or even phone them, but that is no substitute for a face to face discussion, or having lunch together and finding out that their Mum is in hospital, or sharing the office cake on their birthday.  Despite there being core days it seems that respect for even that unity is quite quickly being eroded, and I often cannot find the people I want/need to have a conversation with.

Younger employees probably don't feel that.  They never knew any different and as a result with the retirements of we, the grey beards, the culture of our employer will change forever.  The choir has dwindled, attendance at social events is tailing off, the volunteers at the charity days are the same ones over and over.  The glue that held us together is losing its 'stick'.

The world changes.  Adapt.  

Maybe the glue is re-establishing itself somewhere else - and it might not be a bad thing for humanity.  I was delighted for all sorts of reasons to read the last part of this article on the BBC news website yesterday:  Work Near Home   Quote: It's symbolic that many of these hubs are taking over buildings that used to bring communities together, like churches, council buildings or department stores, Unquote

Let's hope that working nearer to home will strengthen 'human sized' communities, improve connections with neighbours; move the focus, but take nothing at all away from the humanity of us all.

More time to smell the roses perhaps

Comments

  1. Working from home sounds great until the internet and phones fail. Like they did here the other day. Businesses just couldn’t function. Even EFTPOS went down. So if you didn’t have cash you couldn’t make a purchase. Chaos ensued

    ReplyDelete
  2. More companies are insisting on three days 'in the office' , Monday being obligatory, with flexibility on days working from home. It's really time to veer away from 'London-centric' businesses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I retired before all the working from home became normalised, however, on the odd days when bad weather or illness struck I was able to work from home using the work laptop so I was still productive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. Even a three or four day working week and job sharing could be considered. More time for leisure and tending the veg plot or allotment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari Om
    A fine reflection on the nature of work environment and social connection... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I notice a lot of pressure from businesses here in the NYC region to make workers come into the office again , largely fuelled by office building owners wanting their leases honored. Tail wags dog! This in a region where commuting is expensive and brutal, easily four hours daily for my neighbors. I think it really shortens workers lives to have working days running 7 am to 9.30 pm, common here. I used to leave containers of homemade soup at the door of one such couple in the winter, easy heat up for supper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An interesting post on that.
    My daughter, a graphic designer works mainly from home..in the living room. Her husband works for the environment agency , again mostly from home ..he has the dining room.
    Which now means we cannot stay with them to visit ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was always happy working from home and in fact it was the only way I could get anything done. In a university you have a queue of interruptions outside the door. If I hadn't worked from home I would have had to do much more in the evenings. We were working 50+ hours a week as it was.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I left my job on 28 February 2020, opting to bring a close to my long career as a geophysicist, I was well prepared for the fact that my life would change. What I did not then know was that within a few weeks practically everyone else's life would change too, and for many, the working environment would never be the same again. My niece spent much of her period of training to be a solicitor while being forced to WFH, and was very happy to return the office (but still on a much more flexible basis than previously). I would not at all like to work from home - the stimulation of being with bright, lively colleagues of different ages and backgrounds, many from different parts of the world, was a large part of why I enjoyed my job.
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I've ever worked from home but I'd love to, sadly in my line of retail work it's not possible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think working from home is not good for some business, i worked in HR outsourcing, we had 700 employees in our building and another 1000 spread in different offices over the USA.. like you said, access to each dept was necessary and we learned from talking to them and in meetings bouncing thoughts off each other. zooming or doing it by computer can work but face to face is best. I fear that has changed forever and people will become more and more isolated. relationships with in the company were good for us.. I retired in 2006, before all this began

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment