Serendipity

For whatever reason I couldn't muster the energy to go food shopping on Friday after work.  On Saturday I couldn't face descending into the underground public transport system and opted instead to walk the half dozen blocks to Little India.

It was clearly mean to be thus.  It meant that I approached Buffalo Street in Little India from a different direction and found myself passing the Indian Heritage Centre where a display of cultural dance (and music) was underway.  Silly me did not photograph the first few dance troupes even though those around me were filming entire performances.

So what you get here are just two of about 6 - first a dance by women preparing a bride for her wedding. (Moslem, Kerala, according to the description that preceded it).

And a Malayalam  group (also Kerala, South India - nothing to do with Malaysia)


There were some fabulous robes across all the dance groups, and real joy in presenting their pieces for the onlookers.  A serendipitous outcome of a couple of lazy decisions on my part.  Fate (if you believe in such things) had clearly determined that I should be there, in the place, at that time to enjoy the entertainment.



Comments

  1. How very fortuitous. Definitely fate I’d say

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just never know what is around the corner sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here it is a surprise around every second corner it seems. It's a shame for people who don't stray off the beaten track or have very limited time so stick to the guidebook route.

      Delete
  3. Hari Om
    Serendipitous indeed! I do miss joining in such dancing... the Indians are akin to the Scots and Irish in any excuse for a ceilidh!!! So glad you got to experience this. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The music was genuinely foot-tapping / dance inducing. Not at all what I had expected.

      Delete
  4. Joyous dancing - makes one want to join in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. meant to be for sure!!! love it, love the costumes and i might add that last video dance into my excercise routine.. so glad you made this choice for us and for you. I wonder what Tigger would have thought

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous ladies! We love their colourful dresses on top of cheerful music and move! Thank you for coming by our bloggy!! You have many fantastic posts.... we'll come back. :) :) Juno and mum

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to see something like that, not often you see that here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd take that over food shopping any day. Great shots. Arilx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment