Work in Progress

Stocktaking was not necessary to know I have a pile of unfinished projects lying about.

Today I made a start on the colourful Crazy Cats patchwork. The first two are drapped on the back of the sofa waiting to be given names (and eyes). There will be 12 in all and name suggestions (or breed descriptions) are invited as it progresses.


I'm on a third start on a knitted pullover for me. First start: nice pattern but wrong colour, unsuitable colour.  Unpicked half a front and made a second start using a tunic style pattern I've made before. Knitted the whole back before I realized I had adapted the pattern the first time round (to make it look less like a maternity smock) and this new one was too wide. Unpicked all that.... This is the train commuting (and some evenings by the fire) project... and am now halfway up the back 🙄 again.


Yesterday a parcel arrived at the door; wool to knit a Nordic cardigan for a colleague. Having heard I'm planning my escape from work she decided she wanted 'something to remember me by'. I could have said 'no' I guess but I had in fact agreed to do it over a year ago and she never made up her mind about a pattern. (In the meantime I spent my commutes knitting charity hats!)

Beside my armchair a footstool is decorated by a rust coloured ribbed alpaca jacket that I actually started in Greece (over 15 months ago) and got all fed up with the cabling and shaping on the front. The knitting on that got finished in Singapore and all that remains is to sew in the sleeves. I hate sewing ribbed knitting together and it languishes once more. 


Today we went out with our cycling group for the first time in ages. Coffee and a bacon roll at The Explosion Museum and an exploration of the larger Portsmouth conurbation (Fareham, Cosham, Portchester, Port Solent, Paulsgrove, Hillsea and Farlington) on the way back.

The Explosion Museum is looking for volunteers. "To blow things up?" I asked hopefully.

Apparently not. 

Well I won't be volunteering there then.

Comments

  1. You are very talented!
    I do love Bluey and Goldie. Can't wait to see them with eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you find a volunteer job to blow things up, I want to know first, I might even fly over there to volunteer. ha ha.. i do love an action movie with things blowing up... clue word is MOVIE.. ha ha.. I love the knitting on your pullover, that fine close knitting is beautiful. of course it is were me on a train commuting I would be talking, but then you know that. poor people would not know what hit them and I might be put off the train... or reading. I don't need knitted items here, but I do wish i could sew like you do so that I could make clothing for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps we should get a job making explosions for movies. My nephew had a job for a few years blowing up avalanches (well, setting small bangs to ensure big avalanches didn't happen).

      Delete
  3. I like the pattern at the base of the pullover-in-progress, and look forward to seeing how the Nordic effort turns out. Too windy up here for cycling this weekend!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Nordic pattern finally chosen is not particularly Nordic I feel (just some colourwork without that iconic style) and in DK so not at all refined in its appearance, but will be a fast knit.

      Delete
  4. I think instead of unpicking the sweater I'd have adapted it into maybe a skirt! That's how much I object to pulling out work. You're very talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never, and never will, wear any knitted garment other than a sweater (or hat). Knitted dresses were popular in my youth and I am just pleased I got through my youth without ever being presented with one by either of my grandmothers. Unpicking is fine - it means I get to do more knitting without having to buy more yarn.

      Delete
  5. ...and this is a second go, so don't publish this one if the other came through... Gremlins...

    Hari OM
    Bimble and Thimble were the names that jumped into my mind... and could be followed by Wimple, Crimple, Rumble and Crumble, Slinky and Malinky.... ... ... I adore all your knits and having just recieved another big yarn haul myself, there will be no keeping the hands still! Ideal van/train activity. YAM xx (who is finding that some blogs are again not showing up until several hours after their publish point. gggrrrrrr)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you met Slinky Malinky by the way? (Or Scarface Claw?) As the cat of the household to which this will go is called Byron, Byron will have to feature (suntanned Byron, Byron at sea, Byron in floral jimjams.) xx F

      Delete
  6. I love the cats. What a nice colleague you are:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about nice. I have made dozens of patchwork quilts over the years for first borns of friends, family and colleagues. (Actually family all got one regardless of where born in the line up). I have even co-ordinated a few 'community' quilts where all the colleagues contributed a design each - usually when both parents were colleagues. It was interesting how the designs were carefully thought out to represent something of the relationship between the design contributor and the mother or father.

      Delete
  7. The pattern at the top is very cool, I don't think I'd be that clever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh love them all. I hope to get much better at knitting so I can make clothes.
    The cats look like the British short hairs with the stripes, think professor mcgonagall in Harry Potter
    Or the Cheshire Cat in Alice in wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your knitting is wonderful - just pick patterns that proceed in straight lines - like this one does. I will post the pattern picture.

      Delete
  9. Well I think it is only right that one of them should be named Tigger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Byron, We already have 'Tigger in Tartan Pyjamas' (and these ones are rather neon) so I was thinking more along the lines of 'Byron all at sea' (which, when you see the green cat on the blue background, you will have to agree has a certain 'je ne sais quoi' about it)

      Delete
    2. perfect! it will be an honour to be immortalized in a quilt!

      Delete
  10. I think you must have incredible patience to keep unpicking your knitting - I'm afraid I would have thrown the lot away in disgust! Loving your kitty quilts :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely variety of crafts you can turn your hand to. I have a few UFOs, but there's always something new and shiny to distract me. At this rate some of them will outlive me I think! Arilx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment