Finally - no longer WIP


The pullover finally got sewn up last week.  Looking at this photo I realize I should have pressed the bottom edges better. 

My last post commented on Mr B splashing food on his shirts.  I am not sure whether I feed him more splashy staining food or his eating style has deteriorated but even he has commented on the amount of food that ends up on the outside.  The mess isn't confined to eating either - let him loose cooking something and a fair percentage of it ends up stuck to his front before it gets served.  There are aprons hanging on the end of a bookcase beside the kitchen door, but would he wear one?  Not on your Nelly; that would be sissy.  He would rather destroy his best hoodie with a curry sauce stain than wear an apron that no one at all is going to see him in.

Psychology required - "Would you wear an apron if it was made out of denim?"  

"Possibly."

"That pair of jeans I found in the sewing room - are you throwing them out or waiting for them to be mended?"

"Mended?" (Hopeful look on face.)

OK, so I actually went and bought a metre of new denim.  I am all out of denim recovered from old jeans.  A metre is probably cheaper than trying to find two or three pairs in charity shops and repurposing them into an apron and patches (and I hate cutting up jeans that still have good wear in them.)

We had some quiet time at the Repair Café so I made a start on the jeans and finished them on Sunday.


The apron has pockets recovered off the last pair of jeans that has been repurposed into patches.  It also has it's first food stains from the eating of Sunday's roast dinner.  It doubles as a large bib.  The only problem now is that he can't tie a bow behind his back and I need to redesign the fastening to close at one side.


Comments

  1. or just make the side strings long enough to go behind and all the way around and tie in the front.. love the denim and what a great solution. I have to say that it is not only bob who has stains but me too.. I can't seem to eat without it falling on my lap or chest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness - you ended up in spam today and I only found you much later on! Maybe food is just getting messier - it is not us at all.

      Delete
  2. If you make the ties longer he can tie it in front. It’s a great apron
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just added a clip closing on one side. It works and the apron doesn't have long strings hanging on the floor when he hangs it up. (tripping hazard!)

      Delete
  3. My husband is the same as yours, he splashes all his best tops, I am always pointing our stains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to avoid pointing out the obvious - if he does it then I'm not picking on him. It is possibly why he has decided on his own account to make use of his large 'bib'.

      Delete
  4. My apron has very long ties I bring to the front to tie, like a real chef. When I remember to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should have thought of that - unfortunately Mr B is barrel shaped and a string tied round the middle might only serve to emphasize the fact.

      Delete
  5. I like it! Mr B has no excuse now. Will he always remember to wear it while eating?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it saved his front from Sunday roast, and I caught him wearing it Monday so maybe it will.

      Delete
  6. A new range of clothing for cooking and gardening perhaps? Did you see The Good Life when Barbara made Tom a jumper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will go look that up. (It might be like the last ones I made for Mr B - too big and the current WIP is unpicking them and knitting again a few sized smaller)

      Delete
  7. I had a smart blue apron with white stripes but I gave up wearing it. All the splashes seemed to end up above the bib line or down the sides...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Don't shout it but I have that 'above the bib line' problem too.)

      Delete
  8. I like the pullover very much. And your creative helpful approach to Mr B's staining issues. I'm afraid I'm the one that should be wearing the apron here. Though I do love aprons, I usually forget to put one on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having worked years in commercial kitchens, aprons finally became second nature. My mother wore one daily all the time - it was like her household uniform, pockets for everything,...

      Delete
  9. I forgot to ask nosily who's the lucky sweater recipient?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me - first one I have made for myself in over 12 years.

      Delete
  10. We would like to reassure Mr B that the apron is mucho macho
    The jumper is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hari Om
    Hellooooooooo somehow this post didn't arrive in time to catch my eye earlier... but hoorah for the jumper and the apron. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment