The Saga Continues

Sunday dawned sunny and bright.  The pile of anti-rodent preparations in the kitchen glared at me so I went and sat outside to watch the bird life and drink coffee.


Some patchwork trimming, four loads of laundry and a supermarket trip later

No I am not procrastinating

Much

Mr B rang to say he had invited one of his clients to dine with us that evening.  Oh crikey - all evidence of rat defence program was swept under the cupboards and kick boards pushed back into place.  Sewing was cleared off the dining room table.  The pile of 'this must leave the house' sitting in the entrance way was shoved unceremoniously into my office (shame it doesn't have a door!).  The lounge got a lick and polish - cushions plumped, blankets arranged on chairs.  Floors got swept and obvious dust on windowsills got a sort of lazy swish with my elbow as I raced past putting the loads of laundry away.

Second phone call: "I've invited him to stay the night."

Arggggh - the second bedroom is missing a few cupboard doors where I had been discussing with a carpenter how to give the arrangement an upgrade. I can't fix that and the builder doesn't start until 3 June, but at least the bed was made up.

There is nothing like doing a total spring clean in 2 hours.

My reward for all this was that, after a good meal and some wine, Mr B snored half the night .  He doesn't believe me.  At something after midnight I was scouring my phone (in the dark) to get the voice recording app to work and recorded 2 minutes of window-rattling chainsaw noises.  I have the evidence but it didn't help me get to sleep any more effectively. 

Comments

  1. Oh crikey. I need a minimum of 24 hours notice to entertain visitors.. preferably longer for overnighters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A satisfying recording!!

    Love the Tigger themed patchwork

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    Oh dear... life and its curveballs... hope the guest at least appreciated the efforts! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nobby says it's odd that dogs are sent to training sessions to improve their behaviour around the house, but not husbands/partners....

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so nice when that happens - rushed cleaning, then cooking, then clearing away, then unable to sleep. I hope today is more restful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot decide whether to laugh and laugh or whether to say oh no oh no or do both which I guess that is what I'm doing. There is nothing better to get housework done than to have someone coming to visit. Oh no on the chainsaw. My oldest son is the loudest snoring person I have ever heard in my life he could be heard all over the house. And it does keep you awake for sure

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing like that surge of adrenaline we get from surprise company on the horizon to get things moving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a lot of fun at your house! :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you receive a cut of the commission from the client. A hint that the client might get to hear the recording should do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my. I wouldn’t be happy if I got that phone call at all
    You did very well in two hours.
    As for the snoring. My husband didn’t believe me for over 25 years. I told him he even would stop breathing but nope I was lying. Apparently. Then he finally did the test and now he has a CPAP machine
    Meanwhile I’m still not sleeping and I’ve missed the boat for a good nights sleep.
    Men!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh dear those unexpected guests, but it sounds like you did well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment