Phacelia

 


This paddock was a pig farm last year. Today was a bit dull but I bet this is alive with bees on a bright day.

I had to turn into a country lane in order to stop and take photos, and after thrashing through shoulder high roadside weeds I looked back to see a line of cars pulling up behind me, folks climbing out phone camera in hand all wanting to capture the neon glow of this lovely paddock.

This is Funtington in West Sussex. I had just been to Chichester to whip up a poached egg and smoked salmon lunch for FiL. He will be celebrating his 90th birthday this week but doesn't want to go out anywhere. A tumor growing in an inoperable place in his throat is beginning to make its presence felt and he doesn't enjoy swallowing food with angles. Poached eggs slide down; toast doesn't. 

Comments

  1. I can see why people were stopping - what a stunning sight. Hugz to you FIL xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m sorry for your father in law. It’s hard when your not well to feel like celebrating
    Yes I imagine eggs and salmon do go down nicely. Lots of soup would too. The flowers are so very pretty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phacelia is so pretty, a green manure.
    Happy birthday to your father-in-law.'Food with angles' is a very apt description.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing a field of this for the first time years ago and wondering what on earth it was.
    Had some in the garden one year from a packet of wild flower seeds - it was the only thing that grew but never self seeded again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the reaction to a field the first time I encountered 40 acres of coriander! I have grown phacelia as green manure, and you are right I don't recall it coming up the next year at all.

      Delete
  5. Hari Om
    Perhaps a muffin for the eggs? The cloak of purple is a proper spirit lifter. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed muffin was what he agreed on. It was 'no' to the hollandaise though, despite saying that food is losing its taste. He is still quite mobile but very lonely - we have noticed that in the last 18 months or so (before diagnosis even) - and Mr B is currently in Spain. Indeed the purple field is simply amazing. (Mind you it is growing on hears of accumulated 'pig do').

      Delete
  6. what a sight to see! I would love to see it too. so beautiful. Happy birthday to Fil and so sorry to hear of the tumor...

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful. I now know what it's called thanks to your post. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the colours and as much as i love pork I would much rather see these flowers instead of pigs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phacelia is one of my favorite wildflowers. I've never seen a field of it; what a glorious sight. I hope your father-in-law will find good ways of coping with an increasingly difficult time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment