Rationing

Realizing that I possibly spend too much time seeking craft inspiration (and environmental good news) in a couple of social media offerings, I made efforts last week to ration my time spent 'online'.

It has meant spending a lot more time digging out compost heaps, walking around the neighbourhood doing rubbish picks, gardening, cycling, batch cooking meals that get divided up and put in the freezer for easy meals in the weeks ahead, and  generally avoiding sitting on my arse (which is when I tend to reach for the phone).

Doom scrolling: I had to look up the meaning of 'doom scrolling', and have satisfied myself that I am certainly not doing that, but despite being on the hunt for positive and useful stuff, I have definitely been spending too much time doing it.  I look for the positive stuff, but I have to admit that the algorithms don't seem to work so well in that direction.  If I find something I like, it feeds me that for a while and then seems to get bored and tries to serve up something else.  The result is that the feed which should be of things I have chosen to follow is all jammered up with 'sponsored' content (advertisements basically - things that want you to click a link and be taken somewhere else).  I am a deeply suspicious scroller; I don't follow links.

It has however been useful for tips and techniques that Martha and I can use at the Repair Café - mended and remodeled clothes are almost a fashion statement if my social media feed is anything to go by.  Truth is we have found few people willing to have colourful 'look at me' darning on the holes in their fav jumper or pair of pants/trews/daks.  (How many other words can you think up for trousers?  I have a few more.)

Speaking of deeply suspicious, I have been distracted from life generally by having to attend to scary financial stuff.  I might not be doom scrolling but it is hard to avoid knowing that lots of people arriving at retirement get scammed out of their life savings at the time of their transition from working to drawing on said savings.  Seeking advice has been somewhat nerve-wracking.  Your average UK financial advisor is not set up to discuss moving funds to another part of the world, but it turns out that I might be in a tiny minority of people for whom such a move is advantageous.  New Zealand and Australia have unusual (in world economies terms) pensions systems in that you pay tax on the income when you earn it, invest what you like in pension schemes and then don't pay the tax when you draw it out.  I can see the point - it means that high income earners pay high taxes at the time they are earning, and putting it away in savings schemes can't avoid that.

Here in UK deductions from income saved in approved pension funds is done before being taxed, and the pension is taxed on the way out later in life (when hopefully you have reduced the rate at which you pay that tax).  Strangely, as long as my pension savings are moved to an approved pension provider in NZ (and other criteria are satisfied) - my untaxed-on-the-way-in pension savings, will also be untaxed-on-the-way-out.

I'm still getting all twisted up inside about that; you know what they say about if it "sounds too good to be true...."

Anyway my brother recommended a financial advisor in NZ for the receiving end stuff.  I trust him so I trust her.  I told her I was getting all twisted up inside about this and she advised she had moved out from UK, moved her pension with her, and yes that windfall is all true and not scary at all.  That does make me feel a bit better ....

...and then I see Roland rat run across the backyard.  Now Roland is getting me all twisted up inside

Maybe I don't need any excuse to get all twisted up inside.  I do need Mr T's zen-like presence to put stuff into perspective.

Zen cat

Comments

  1. Hari Om
    I was thinking the other day that it's about a year since Tigger departed, for it's nearly the year since I drove The Grey to you... Pension stuff does my head in, but I'm glad there's a gold pot at the end of your rainbow! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no pot of gold that I didn't create myself, but it is rather odd (and nice) to not find any tax authority dipping deeply into the reserves. The difference might actually build the house if I am prudent with it. I have economical preferences in house design.

      Delete
  2. I have been trying to gather enough momentum to make a start on filling in my tax return.
    Haven't quite got started yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arrrggghh .....don't even mention tax returns (I'm still sorting out Greece 2 years ago.....)

      Delete
  3. Definitely strange about the pensions, but, yahoo! Make the most of it :)
    I do miss Tigger xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. for the past year i have lived with a twisted gut and anxiety and though it is not about moving or any of the things you mentioned here, I hope you can find a way to do what you want and need and nix the twisting of the gut.. mine is health related and there is nothing to be done about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to read about incurable health issue. I'm not the anxious kind but notice that the sensation of tension can be quite paralyzing even in its mildest form, so I have no idea how people who truly suffer from it function day to day.

      Delete
  5. Twisted gut and sick feelings are not fun, but you seem to be navigating quite successfully. After all, you aren't just moving house, you're moving country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not so bad (not bad at all; we just find ourselves surrounded by warnings about so much bad stuff in the world that some of it is bound to get through from time to time) and it doesn't hurt me to get a little insight what the lives of others might feel like if they suffer anxiety all the time and in paralyzing ways. A little empathy never hurt anyone I suspect.

      Delete
  6. Will you get another Mr T when you move back? He was a great character and very photogenic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We might get a k9. New Zealand is campaigning against domestic cats (because our native wildlife is mainly avian, and lots of them don't bother to get off the ground never having had predators before humans and their pets arrived). The land I have bought is 'off-grid'. Close to places where native bird life should feel safe and so we had to agree a covenant that we would not have a cat. That is turning out to be tougher to accept than I had thought it would be at the time Mr T went over the rainbow bridge (as they say around blog world). Any k9 that inherits his mantle is going to have to be a very special character.

      Delete
  7. Hope all the details sort out to your advantage with a minimum amount of stress. The planning required to move to another country makes my head spin. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roland looks very happy in his little cat house, Mr Cat has one just the same but with different fabric. We've just adopted a dog named Bug (cos my daughter is a insect fan) who is a cross breed of staffy pitty, she is so gentle and pretty. Good to hear you might be coming back. I've thought of building a catio at some point but then again my 4 cats tend to catch more mice than birds.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment