Hiatus

Retirement isn't like going on a holiday. On holiday one can (if it's your thing) totally 'veg out' knowing that when the holiday is over it's back to routine.  I'm not sure I wanted to start my new life style by throwing all routine under a bus, so I didn't change my alarms.  

Despite getting up determined to tackle each day, the time hasn't conformed to any plan I made for it.  Rapid decline of Mr B's mum, and her eventual admission to hospital put all travel plans on hold.  We did manage 3 days camping in East Dorset with Mr B's daughter and two grandchildren in the days immediately following my end of work.  I wouldn't have called it a triumph, but nobody got injured, lost, starved, of died of hypothermia.  

Success can be measured in a variety of ways.

Over the following couple of weeks, while Mr B balanced parental visits in opposite directions from home (they divorced over 40 years ago), I tackled mundane objectives to cull possessions, reduce craft materials, carry out repairs and maintenance, tidy up the garden, sign tax returns, finish sewing and knitting projects, and go cycling more often.

Stella's Voice charity has a local shop/warehouse that takes pretty much anything you might want to donate. We have been making, on average, a donating trip per week for a while - clothes, appliances, furniture, books, china, diy materials.

A local hospice has a charity shop devoted entirely to craft materials. I unloaded fabrics onto them....my new mantra being if I won't wear it, decorate with it or use it for patchwork, it's going out.

Theirs is a shop I dash into, drop, dash out of. Don't linger. 

Despite all the culling, the house does not look Spartan. In fact I can't even see gaps where 'stuff' used to be but is no longer.

Must try harder.

Mr B's mum died last week with lots of family around her.  His sister now has 30 days to clear mother's social housing apartment, and needs all the help she can get. Mr B has arrived home with suitcases full of unlabelled old (very old, as in over 150 years for some of them) photos. Photos I had urged him to spend time going through with his Mum to keep her engaged in the early stages of her dementia.  Photos he now wishes he had gone through with his Mum...... She was an only-child, so there is no one else to tell us who all these people are, or how related.

Loss of family history.

A few of my photos:

Have used up all my patchworking 'crumbs' making random squares.

100's of them.

Have altered 2 pair motorbike jeans for Mr B, and two pair new drill shorts for me.  (I buy mens' shorts and reshape them. Women's shorts are all sort of fashion statements and usually made out of plastic that goes by some trendy name.  I only wear hardwearing cotton drill, knee length baggy fit, with lots of pockets and strong belt loops; the style a friend of mine used to call 'empire builders'. Being khaki coloured is optional.)  Some women age elegantly. While I would love to be one of them, I've never had the face or hairstyle for elegance, so I'm just going for aging disgracefully - in baggy shorts and holey T-shirts (or my boiler suit), and generous applications of dirt and grease.

Yet to apply dirt and grease.

Made a mancala board - still sanding that.


Made aprons out of remnants of cotton and denim stash.


Trying to catch up my one a day sketches - attendance on that has been patchy and I'm about 10 days behind.


Have collected thousands of drinks cans on my litterpicking expeditions, and add them to a community charity fundraiser for Hampshire and Isle of White Air Ambulance.


Happy August everyone and if you can think of no other way to fill your time - label up your collection of old family photos - create a family tree with them.... tell your kids, or your grandkids who all those ancient looking people were and what they did in the world. Pass on the history. Create an oral tradition....

Comments

  1. Somehow looking at digital versions of photographs is not the same as turning the pages of an album.
    I'm sorry the start of your retirement has been disrupted. I wondered where you were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebuilding the albums. I have sleuthed up 6 generations of the female line. The men have been somewhat more difficult to fit into the pictures having seldom been photographed with their wives or kids it seems.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    I had surmised 'things were happening', but not quite exactly that Mum B had passed. My condolences to Mr B... The photos thing is important. My dad was a good organiser that way and brother has taken up the task. Love your patchwork squares... look forward to how they transform further! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is someone in the family who might want it for her daughter - married to a nephew of Mr B, her daughter is the 7th generation in photos, a line back to all her grandmas thru her Dad.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about Mrs B Senior, and a shame about being too late with the photos.
    I don't have any family photos at all as mum took them with her when she left home back in the 70s.
    Nice shorts, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family photo albums can be quite a responsibilty. I have one put together by my paternal Grandad which starts with his great grandparents (the ones who made the trip downunder). Thanks (re shorts - they work for me.)

      Delete
  4. So sorry your retirement was marked my losing Mr. B's mom. It sounds like you took the opportunity to Get Things Done and still more to do... I give you A + for all you have accomplished.
    Keep chipping away at the work, and soon you will see gaps where things were and are not. you could just dump it all and buy new when you change country's. that is what i woul do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will dump most of the furniture and appliances, but like the family photos there are lots of multi-generational things in everyday use in my kitchen and dining room. They have stories and will stay with me. Books and music too. Paintings are mostly by people I know or are part of stories about my life ... they go along to the other side of the world. I just want to make sure that when the packing starts that there are very few decisions left to be made. (Otherwise stuff gets moved that should have been culled.)

      Delete
  5. Photos are valuable..I have the job of sorting Pirate's old family photos..some of them anyway. Even those that I don't have a name for yet... By studying some I have already managed to work out names for the two so far...and found a family resemblance that carries on in his great nephews.

    It is strange that...you find a new home for a mountain of Stuff..and what is left expands to fill the space! The best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sleuthing part is quite fun. From one labelled photo with 3 generations of women, I have managed to place at least 50% of the unlabelled very old ones. Mr B can recognize those of his grandparents to the current generation, so we have narrowed the unknowns down to about 10% and they could be the weddings of friends, military comrades etc.

      Delete
  6. Somehow not a surprise to learn that you've been busy! Despite living several hundred miles from my nearest relative, I am custodian of the family photo archives. These contains many photos of people I don't know but also well labelled albums from WW2 - when my mother spent four years as an evacuee in Canada and my father, ten years her senior, served as an RAF pilot. These albums are precious beyond measure and will never be 'decluttered' in my life time.
    Cheers,
    Gail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many many photos of young adults in picnic groups, beach visits, tennis parties, women in flapper dresses and cloche hats, ... give the impression of a wide network of friends having a charming old life between the wars.

      Delete
  7. I spent years tracing family history, but on my mother's side have the opposite situation - I know who they were but have no photographs. It is said my uncle threw them away when he cleared my grandma's house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I don't keep a very close eye on him Mr B is shaping up to be that uncle. I (against my preferences) stepped in to halt destruction and the laying waste to family history. He has subsequently discovered (following my sleuthing and cross matching of photos) that there was a celebrated RA artist in a branch of the family and he has already destroyed signed paintings by said relative. Oops.

      Delete
  8. People say to me. You should get a part time job. It must be boring for you
    I honestly can’t fit a job in
    With spring coming I’m going to be very busy outside
    The only slow time is mid winter. Where I catch up on the crafting I’ve wanted to make
    I’m so very sorry for Mr B’s loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get itchy if i sit down to crafting right now. I feel like I need to be moving forward somehow, or making better use of the few weeks I have left here. My plan to spend 10 weeks 'on the road' so to speak has completely fallen apart. I still have never visited Ireland.

      Delete
  9. Sorry to hear about your family loss.
    Sounds like you are making definite progress with sorting, even if results are not yet that visible.
    A shame about the photos (we have a few old ones that are not positively identified and have to go with "we think it is").
    One day your routine will settle down. Stopping work is a huge change and it always takes a little while to sort things out in practical terms. Go easy on yourself :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why oh why do people not put names on photos??? We have a few dates which help, but we seem to have family group photos that include a brother that no one has ever mentioned. He would be a brother of Mr B's grandmother; and as preschooler is the spit and image of Mr B at the same age. I have been teasing Mr B that he is either a reincarnation or a time traveller.

      Delete
  10. You've both had alot going on by the sounds of it. I should get back into quilting now that we have a sewing machine. In answer to your comment about the rain here, the west coast is no longer the wettest part of NZ, the east coast of the north island (Hawkes Bay and Gisborne) have taken that slot, they have had repeat floodings over the last 5 years, this is the first bout of serious rain we've had since we lived here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post really resonates with me - I have a suitcase of photos, so many of the faces unknown to me. I started to look through them with my mother far too late in her life when hearing and eyesight had become so bad that she was unable to identify anyone. What a lost opportunity.
    I like the blog posts where people share stories and photos of their family history, it is such a good way to keep a record and it's also a valuable social history.
    My sympathies with decluttering. We moved house a couple of years ago and offloaded items for many weeks prior to moving. We've still ended up with a ridiculous amount of 'stuff'!
    Rosemary from share my garden.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment