Aberfoyle

Aberfoyle is more or less in the middle of Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park.

After an abortive stop in Dumbarton (fortress of the Britons apparently but it is closed on Mondays) and a lovely chat with a group of dog walkers making the most of glorious sunshine, I 'set sail' for Aberfoyle. 

25 miles.

Such a short distance really. A different world.

Stopped to buy a map, then had coffee while contemplating said map, and got access to WiFi (no phone coverage in large chunks of this country side - like I said 'different world'.) The most visited bits of the national park have camping management in place from March to September. If you plan to camp you can either book into a privately run campsite, or go online and buy a permit.  Hence the need for WiFi.

My permit cost £4.20 for my first night.

Spent the afternoon wandering about nearby forest and lochs.
Ben Lomond in the distance

Mr T's butterfly making sure I stay safe

Anthill - very tidy huh?

Old Man's Beard

You will have to look very closely at this. Once you see it moving your skin will start to itch.

At the end of my day I drove over Duke's Pass to Loch Achay and put this permit thing to the test. I found a lovely permit spot in wooded surrounds far enough off the road to be untroubled by traffic, ate food, and slept well.

Comments

  1. A marvellous place to tramp and camp. What gorgeous scenery. And Mr T watching over you. Keeping you out of the mud! Though it looks dry and sunny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Not sure you had time to catch my reports from the Three Lochs Drive/Aberfoyle, but it's a place I shall be visting again, for it provides full relief from this crazy world! (Did you manage to avoid the wool shed???) YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avoided all woolsheds. I do recall your posts on Three Lochs Drive, tho it might have more meaning now that I have seen it in the flesh so to speak.

      Delete
  3. How fantastic. We were only saying last night that we fancied a longer trip back to Scotland once we've retired next year. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could spend a year in this national park alone. If you can handle camping (in any of its forms) research rights of access in Scotland. Stopping for the night doesn't have to be expensive so I can afford to spend more on food and tours.

      Delete
  4. So pleased you've made it north of the Central Belt. And it looks like you've got lucky with the weather. Today was about the hottest day of the year so far in Aberdeen. Happy memories of cycling over the Duke's Pass when doing the 'Lochs and Glens' National Cycle Route 7 (Glasgow to Inverness) a few years ago.
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been so very hot here. I was going to tackle Ben Lawers today but was initially discouraged by fog and low cloud. Went on a forest walk instead and two hours and a lot of heat later was glad for my choice.

      Delete
    2. PS the cycling around here looks great and I'm sad we didn't drag the bikes up here after all.

      Delete
  5. A tent? Camping? No 5 star luxury hotels there?
    Seriously, it looks wonderfully peaceful and unspoilt. Just made for relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are a brave woman... that ant his is worthy of being in a horror film. yikes. Mr T's butterfly is gorgeous. that is a really good price for a campsite. happy to hear the weather is cooperating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ants are successful! Admirable hill there! Glad for the sunny days for you, camping in rain and wind is not my first choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camping in wind and rain is awful I agree. However stories of Scotland being cold and wet seem to be much exaggerated.

      Delete
    2. Camping in wind and rain is awful I agree. However stories of Scotland being cold and wet seem to be much exaggerated.

      Delete
  8. My skin didn't itch - it crawled! LOL
    Looks like a lovely spot to visit. Glad Mr T is watching over you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your comment about Dumbarton made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMCs I saw it move...is that a critter home. I am itching...might need an early shower . LOL
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment