Crafted



wandering along the the street in Castle Douglas I spotted, in an 'interiors' shop, this cushion with the very arty cockerel appliqued onto woollen tweeds.

The shop was closed (it was about 0730 in the morning and I had been on a hunter/gatherer trip to a bakery) so it and it's running mates had to be photographed from outside the plate glass.  More examples could be seen in the depth of the darkened shop. They really appealed to the fabric scraper in me. I used to do a lot of machine applique but never achieved that standard.  I have however been inspired....

 I have just read a book (called Jellyfish Dreaming) written by a friend and clicked these to send the image to her.  Like much art I see I love the colour, admire the ideas and the skills, the use of materials,  but I wouldn't buy one - besides I think they look best en masse.

Comments

  1. You can probably see my house from there....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure I'd trust Nobby around the applique fox cushion.
    Cheers! Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much was the cockerel cushion? I like it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very bright and jolly though they are, the fox and companions would look best in an uncluttered environment - like a shop window. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not too keen on the Roo with fluffy ears (if that’s what it’s supposed to be) but Reynard and the Chook are very stylish

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are beautiful, the pillows I mean. no jelly fish for me but it takes a lot of talent to create them. love the fox and the rooster, they tie for 1st place for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the animals. I’ve don’t done too much in machine application. The few that I did attempt just drove me to distraction. So many little pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I trace the design backwards onto iron on interfacing to stabilise the shape and control the fraying, then cut it out and baste the pieces onto the backing. My friend has a way of doing it with paper that she tears away afterwards. I think she sews from the back and then cuts the fabric to the stitching on the front. (I can't see how else it works).

      Delete
  8. Oh my favorite is the fox ~ all your work is lovely and creative ~ hugs,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    clm ~ A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those applique cushions are lovely. Can't wait to see what you will come up with. I love looking at the windows of shops like this. So many ideas. There's one craft shop here that I take photos of. Haven't made anything yet though

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aren't they well done and so cheering?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment