Killin. No G

Killin is outside the 'camping management' area, so, according to the helpful man in the info centre, no permit is needed for an overnight stop.  I found an acceptable spot beside the river, had a quick wash (brrrrr), and set up camp for the night.

A red squirrel came to investigate but was too quick and shy for me to get a decent photo of it.

Killin is possibly best known (by those who know it) for the Falls of Dochart. 








OK more sort of rapids and cataracts than falls but they have achieved some great rock carvings.



The Inn (started life as a smithy)


Gateway to the island burial ground of the clan chiefs McNab
I had contemplated a slog up Ben Lawers, but awoke to fog and the top of said mountain shrouded in cloud.  Instead I opted for a forest walk that took in several miles of dismantled railway line which has been repurposed into an extensive off road cycle route network connecting local towns and villages.  As the day developed into a scorcher I decided I'd made the right choice. There is absolutely no shade on the way up (or down) Ben Lawers.

Walk photos in a later post.  I had a most excellent hot smoked salmon sandwich at the Inn after my 6 hours of strolling about in the woods. They apparently smoke their own salmon and have it on sale for those who want to take some away with them (as I now think I should have done.  I do like hot smoked salmon.) 

Comments

  1. Oh yes. Definitely a good day, especially with the hot smoked salmon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment