Disconnect

Having arrived home at midnight on Friday (with a couple of family members picked up en route), I had to hit the ground running on Saturday.  It was the memorial day for Mr B's mum and I had the catering role.

Fortunately, after much toing and froing a month ago, the family had settled on having a picnic memorial day at a local country park.  In the park the remains of the former manor house form a suitable venue.  The house is gone but an undercroft to its front terrace (12 elegant arches, a tiled covered walkway, fronted by a pair of curving outdoor stair cases) was the chosen venue.  It served as a suitable place to set up the photo memorial, set out the comestibles, and form shelter from any breezes that might disturb the day.  As it turned out we had gloriously warm sunny (and calm) weather and those who attended shared many memories of the departed Nan, Aunt, Neighbour and Friend.

Celebration of  Life is what they called it.  I am not accustomed to such informal funereal arrangements but they seem to be gaining popularity here; unattended cremation (which doesn't have the waiting list for attended full service funeral), and some later commemoration event and possibly even a later small gathering for depositing ashes.

Now I have to focus my week on disconnecting myself from UK.  Despite having moved to other countries a few times in my life, it has never been particularly important to delete one set of connections before starting another.  This time however (pension related) I have to clearly establish my domicile in NZ asap, which means having to carefully and thoroughly excise all evidence of any commitment to my life in UK. 

Have you ever made a list of all the things you subscribe to, pay for, have your name on, participate in, need to resign from, change address on, support by charity donation, .....? Someone advised recently that many of us can save money by simply checking our direct debits are still current.

Nothing, it turns out, can be resolved on the first phone call.  Few things can be resolved with a phone call and just one email.  One can seldom speak to a 'real person' these days (am I sounding like a grumpy old woman?), and the effort it takes to do even relatively simple things is sending me off for afternoon naps to recover my equanimity, and quell my impulses to shout at someone (even if it is only a poorly trained machine).

I should be thankful I have these options and am not evacuating somewhere as a refugee.

We have a new yoga teacher.  English is not her first language.  She has long pauses while she examines her memory banks for the correct word for elbow, left, right, knee etc.  And she always finishes each instruction with ..."and breeeeathe".

Another phone call .... and breeeeathe.

Glenfalloch

Comments

  1. This is interesting. Sounds like the tie severing we did on adopting a different citizenship. More to it than you'd think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as bad for me, I suspect, as trying to get citizenship in USA (or Australia) - they have tough tests to pass there.

      Delete
  2. Not being able to talk to a 'real' person also really annoys me. I think answer phones are very annoying and I never leave a message. I much prefer texting and email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like pushing the button that applies to 'none of these options'. It usually gets a real person (probably someone who is bored that a machine has taken away the bulk of the enquiries they could deal with and left them with only the 'off the wall' questions to answer). It was something that was both good and bad in my job. Nice to know that people thought I could answer the weird enquiries, but I hated not knowing where to even start to find the answer to yet another oddity that had never crossed my life's path before.

      Delete
  3. The Celebration of Life and direct cremation is something that we too have elected for in our wills. So much simpler.
    All that severing sounds exhausting. I hope that you don't excise all of us from your life too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No chance. You guys are the only certainty in life these days.

      Delete
  4. What a palaver. You really really cutting all ties with this part of your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several tests of domicile. It doesn't matter to most people moving internationally, but I have taxman looking very closely at my pension, so I have to leave a clear audit trail of my departure and re-establishing myself in NZ. It is only bureaucracy - one doesn't lose the memories or the friends.

      Delete
  5. When it all gets too much, breeeeeathe deep, close eyes and spend a moment or two imagining a beautiful waterfall in Scotland...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... or a beautiful water fall in NZ. Either way they are beautiful waterfalls and a week or so back Linda informed us that they reduce free radicals... (I hope that means destressing).

      Delete
  6. Yes, remember to breeeeathe! It helps you cope with things :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently deep sighs are a good thing. They mark the end of the need for 'fight or flight' and the body cuts the adrenalin and relaxes.

      Delete
  7. It sounds sad and sombre, but then all moves away are poignant. I hope Mr B's mum's celebration caused more smiles than tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sad - it is just admin, not emotional (they can't cut away the human connections and the memories). The celebration did indeed bring about lots of smiles. Sunshine helped.

      Delete
  8. Bureaucracy has gone even more mad than it used to be All that red tape just for a simple request. I don’t envy you at all. Yes. Just breatheeeee Good luck

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment